Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Buying for other kids, mixing up supplies ...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 134 Replies
I don't like the fact that I buy school supplies for my son that he prefers and likes. I will pay more for certain items with some things rather than buying the most generic. It irritates me when teachers take all the kids supplies on the first day, mixes them up and then passes them out. If my kids teacher wants to do that this year is it out of line to say : No, I bought this stuff for my son. Yes, it's her classroom, but it's my money I spent on my child.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:49 AM
I'm writing my Son's name in a big black sharpie on every Crayon, every glue stick, every box of tissue. It's one thing to be told they're going to use it for everybody. It's another to give me a list of stuff *my* child needs and then he comes home with no supplies. The bastards did that to me last year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Having used a communal system, it's just more convenient. I didn't redistribute stuff though. I kept stuff in bins. If we needed scissors for example, each table grabbed a bin of scissors. The stuff students kept in their desks were folders, notebooks, text books, and pencils.

Our lists are color specific. I don't buy any character folders or notebooks. There is nothing my DD is attached to when it comes to basic supplies.
demonica29
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Great idea!  Single yourselves as the difficult parents before school even starts. Way to give your child the best possible start to the year!  {sarcasm font off}

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

where is the dead horse when you need it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:53 AM
If a teacher has a communal system the names won't matter. I've placed personalized crayon boxes and scissors in shared bins. ::shrugs::

Quoting Anonymous: I'm writing my Son's name in a big black sharpie on every Crayon, every glue stick, every box of tissue. It's one thing to be told they're going to use it for everybody. It's another to give me a list of stuff *my* child needs and then he comes home with no supplies. The bastards did that to me last year.
Cocomicah
by time lord on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:53 AM
That sucks. I didn't know they did things like that. When I was in school all of our things like that were kept in a separate cubby for each student.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:55 AM
They should tell parents that's how they're doing it. So I have to buy supplies for home and school? I bought those supplies for my child to be able to do homework. My kid never had a crayon in his bag and I bought him 64. I hate that system and if you Teachers want it that way, come out of your own damn pockets and buy the supplies. There is no reason why I spent $50 on supplies for MY son and we can't find one god damn crayon in his book bag

Quoting Anonymous: If a teacher has a communal system the names won't matter. I've placed personalized crayon boxes and scissors in shared bins. ::shrugs::

Quoting Anonymous: I'm writing my Son's name in a big black sharpie on every Crayon, every glue stick, every box of tissue. It's one thing to be told they're going to use it for everybody. It's another to give me a list of stuff *my* child needs and then he comes home with no supplies. The bastards did that to me last year.
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:55 AM
6 moms liked this
I don't care if supplies are shared or aren't. If my DD uses someone else's 50 cent box of crayons instead of the 50 cent box I bought, I'm okay with that. Is she enjoying school? Is she learning? If so, I'm HAPPY.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:55 AM
*sigh*
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Even the box of tissues?! I thought that would be an obvious communal use item. You really don't expect the teacher to have 20 boxes of open tissues available for each student?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)