Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cutting 1.8 million from the budget

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
Our schools are in terrible shape. I was looking the other day and only 46 percent of the students are scoring at or above proficient levels. This is in an English speaking rural community. Instead of making cuts as needed the school board has decided to spend their entire reserve account. Last year they spent 2 million dollars on a new track and field at the middle school.
So they are talking about completely closing the middle school and making elementary k to 8. It's the only middle school in the county! So the 2 million in improvements will sit unused. They're also discussing closing 3 elementary schools. All sports and music programs are at risk of being cut. There's talk of firing more teachers and increasing class sizes in elementary. They're at 31 now!
Next year another 1 million in cuts have to be made.
Anybody else's schools this bad off?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cocomicah
by time lord on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Wtf where do you live?

Lol wait I have no room to talk, I live in nola and our schools rank lowest in the country probably.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:13 PM

It's unfortunately very common. The people in charge of spending the money have no idea how to do it properly. Instead of providing textbooks and basic classroom materials, they resurface tracks and buy smartboards, then cancel art and music classes and cut back on janitorial and paraprofessional staff. Then they want to know why teachers can't accomplish everything the same way, despite having old and outdated (or missing) books, dirty classrooms, and fidgety students who have no release for physical and creative energy day in and day out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Rural area in California

Quoting Cocomicah: Wtf where do you live?

Lol wait I have no room to talk, I live in nola and our schools rank lowest in the country probably.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM

no, our district is the highest funded in our county

LadyBugMom09
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Do superintendents and principlals have to take an accounting and budgeting class before they're given jobs??

Just curious.
Cocomicah
by time lord on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM
How many other schools are in the area?

Quoting Anonymous: Rural area in California

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM
I doubt it. The superintendent now was known by all of the students as the oblivious vice principal when I was in high school.

Quoting LadyBugMom09: Do superintendents and principlals have to take an accounting and budgeting class before they're given jobs??

Just curious.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Thats sad. Its not uncommon here for the budgets to be cut. They have closed a couple schools, however we have sooooo many that it doesn't make that big of a difference. I can think of 4 elementary within 2 miles of my house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:22 PM

probably because they're spending it all on illegal immigrants.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Every school in this half of the county are under this school district. There are 8 schools now. One high school, one middle school, and 6 elementary. Schools have under 400 students at each.
If cuts are made polls say 1,500 students will leave for other school districts or homeschooling. That's a huge percentage of our kids.

Quoting Cocomicah: How many other schools are in the area?

Quoting Anonymous: Rural area in California

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)