Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I could have killed him!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

It's two weeks into school, and I find out that there is a child in my sons class who is deathly allergic to nuts, he is also allergic to some other foods.  His Mom didn't feel the need to tell the teachers until two weeks into school, and my son's teacher never told the administration so they could send out a letter to the parents.  I had no idea of this child's nut allergy and I put almonds in my son's lunch.  I only found out when I went to pick him up, the teacher told me.  I was LIVID.  I got really upset with the teacher for not mentioning anything to the parents, and when I went to the administration to find out just what I could/ couldn't pack in my child's lunch, they said they had no knowledge of the situation.  I don't think it's okay to keep these things a secret.....I am not psychic, I need to know, as do other parents, so we don't put this child at risk.  Okay, my rant is over.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bbrown0603
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Omg I agree with you!!
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Well seriously look at the posts in here about nut allergies. Women who make a big deal out of it bashed.. Mothers threatening to send them in regardless. Some posters even suggested sending in snacks for the whole room with them hidden in it simply to prove the allergy isn't as bad as assumed. I can totally see why she didn't say anything art first. She was probably nervous about being "that mom." Maybe she educated her son on what to touch and not touch and felt that may be good enough. 

BUT no matter what her reason she needs to get over it and think of her child first.  Absolutely everyone should have been notified. 

AjsMom0508
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM
This exact same story was posted yesterday.
KristaP13
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM

What kind of parent doesn't inform the school about allergies?

Our school doesn't have food restrictions, they deal with it by putting the kids who bring their lunch at a separate table. Still, that is completely irresponsible of her to put her child at risk like that. 

WillowTreesMom
by Twilight Sparkle on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:50 PM
I would have been upset too. They should let the school know of these things!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM
I stand by the idea that it's not your job to worry about this other kid and his allergies. It's his parents' job and the teacher and school. It's your job to worry about your kid and if no one tells you another kid is allergic, that's on them, not you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Quoting brettsmomma:

Well seriously look at the posts in here about nut allergies. Women who make a big deal out of it bashed.. Mothers threatening to send them in regardless. Some posters even suggested sending in snacks for the whole room with them hidden in it simply to prove the allergy isn't as bad as assumed. I can totally see why she didn't say anything art first. She was probably nervous about being "that mom." Maybe she educated her son on what to touch and not touch and felt that may be good enough. 

BUT no matter what her reason she needs to get over it and think of her child first.  Absolutely everyone should have been notified. 

The kids are only three years old, I'd guess it is hard for them to know 100% what they can and can't eat at this time.  I think that there are a few bad apples that might like to sabotage a child, but most of the Moms I know are happy to accomodate and want to make sure all the kids are safe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)