Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's talk about depression and suicide...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies

Depression is a disease. And it's as crippling as any physical disease. As a society, we do not have the means to deal with it. When you have cancer, you go to chemo. When your kidneys are failing, you go to dialysis. There is no concrete thing we do to help someone who is experiencing the level of depression that causes an individual to take their own life. This is not temporary sadness...it's an insurmountable lack of hope.  It's the incredible energy you invest to just simply get out of bed and put one foot in front of the other, each step harder than the last.

We pump them full of pills and give them an hour of therapy a week...and we do those to make OURSELVES feel better, not them. Sometimes it helps.  In fact, often times it helps....but we don't really do it for those who are suffering, we do it so that we can know that we did everything we could...and that's okay.  I am not suggesting that we DON'T do those things.  I am suggesting that when those things fail, we find within ourselves compassion in the depths and pain of our grief.

I believe at the end of the day there are some people we can not help and to them, the act of suicide IS in fact the most compassionate and loving thing they can do for themselves. I don't know what causes one person to kill themselves and another person to live to fight another day.  None of us do.

Is it selfish? Of course it is.  Do the people that are left behind have the right to be pissed off?  Absolutely.

It's nearly impossible for someone who does NOT understand the level of pain that brings someone to take that final act to find that compassion and I understand that. And I believe the best thing we can do at that time is simply help them get through the grief and pain.

Please note: I know many of you have experinced the death of a loved on by their own hands.  And to you I extend a loving heart and the hope that you have been able to pick up the pieces in the wake of that tragedy. I do not begrudge anyone for feeling the anger that comes when dealing such an event.  Those left behind are indeed the ones who struggle most. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I wonder if Mr. Williams feels better now?

scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:03 PM

I really hope he does.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:03 PM

I'm not sure.   

But whatever Earthly pain he suffered has ended. 

Quoting Anonymous:

TheCupcakeMom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Yes, because this type of post hasn't been done 1,000 times in the last two days... 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM
I was diagnosed BP1 with psychotic features in the late 90s. I'm vigilante with meds, therapy and all doctor's appointments. DS still has seen things I wish he hadn't seen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:06 PM
3 moms liked this

We should KEEP talking about it.  Over and over and over again.  We should talk about it every single day, because we do not talk about mental illness enough and we certainly do not invest enough money into understanding it and treating it. 

Quoting TheCupcakeMom:

Yes, because this type of post hasn't been done 1,000 times in the last two days... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I have PTSD from 12 years of abuse as a child. 

There was an entire six months of my life that simply finding the energy to shower was more than I could bear.  I sincerely do not know what saved me.  Why i am not a suicide statistic, because trust me....there were days when that really felt like the most humane thing I could for myself and those who loved me.

Quoting Danesmommy1: I was diagnosed BP1 with psychotic features in the late 90s. I'm vigilante with meds, therapy and all doctor's appointments. DS still has seen things I wish he hadn't seen.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Its my birthday and im considering suicide more than I ever have right now.

No one is here for me. No one has been. My crazy dramatic self is better off dead.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I do not take threats lightly.  Ever.

Call the suicide prevention hotline.  I have many times before. 

1-800-273-8255

Or keep talking here. 

Quoting Anonymous: Its my birthday and im considering suicide more than I ever have right now. No one is here for me. No one has been. My crazy dramatic self is better off dead.

Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
And it's something that should be talked about and posted EVERYDAY. Talking about mental illness helps eliminate ignorance and stigma.

Quoting TheCupcakeMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)