Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Makeup! (Foundation)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
So ive always struggled with finding my skin undertone in the past which is very important when trying to find the perfect shade of foundation. So theres three ranges of shades C,N and W. (Cold,Neutral and Warm). So ive never did a color match before so ive always thought my undertones were warm and bought a warm tone foundation. It always seemed orange on me even though i self tanned my face and even though my face was darker. So i went to sephora for a color match and they said my color undertone was neutral. So my question is, was the foundation i got in the warm tone range looking orange on my face because it isnt my skins undertone since im actually neutral?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Bump
jellybeanjean
by All the makeup on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
No. It's orange cause it's too dark.

However, some foundations will have an orange base because orange will help cover darker discolouration the face. A lighter foundation colour with a similar base colour will be more peachy.

"Neutral" is a safe bet for a foundation choice... The reality is very few people are a true warm or a true cool.
BrighteyedAsh
by Ashley on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Olive being neutral. I had the same issue...and I'm olive skinned. .which is weird to me since it seems like I'd be warm/pink shades.

But neutral, or olive has a greenish yellow undertone...adding 'warm'...peachy orange tones makes us unnaturally peach orange. Lol.
AZHOTMOM
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:06 PM

I am in the cool undertones category. Have you tried BB cream, instead of a true foundation? It seems to help me, because even the light foundations are too dark for me.

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:10 PM
I buy a light foundation that is really close and then tone correcting powder.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Ive tried lighter shades in the warm and they are all orange and im not that pale. Im a medium shade. Thats why im wondering if it turns orange because i got the wrong undertone shade.

Quoting jellybeanjean: No. It's orange cause it's too dark.

However, some foundations will have an orange base because orange will help cover darker discolouration the face. A lighter foundation colour with a similar base colour will be more peachy.

"Neutral" is a safe bet for a foundation choice... The reality is very few people are a true warm or a true cool.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:18 PM
So which shade do you use? I think i have the same problem as you.

Quoting BrighteyedAsh:

Mobile Photo

Olive being neutral. I had the same issue...and I'm olive skinned. .which is weird to me since it seems like I'd be warm/pink shades.

But neutral, or olive has a greenish yellow undertone...adding 'warm'...peachy orange tones makes us unnaturally peach orange. Lol.
jellybeanjean
by All the makeup on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Sometimes foundation will oxidize too.... Making them start out one shade and get more orange as time progresses....Not all warm foundations have an orange base though....some will be more yellow toned.... It's just a formulation thing..... Some foundations will have very strong orange base.... I notice that these tend to be fuller coverage. Like Kat von ds line .....Like I said before, orange will neutralize dark discolouration

Quoting Anonymous: Ive tried lighter shades in the warm and they are all orange and im not that pale. Im a medium shade. Thats why im wondering if it turns orange because i got the wrong undertone shade.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:38 PM
How can i tell which foundations are orange based?

Quoting jellybeanjean: Sometimes foundation will oxidize too.... Making them start out one shade and get more orange as time progresses....Not all warm foundations have an orange base though....some will be more yellow toned.... It's just a formulation thing..... Some foundations will have very strong orange base.... I notice that these tend to be fuller coverage. Like Kat von ds line .....Like I said before, orange will neutralize dark discolouration

Quoting Anonymous: Ive tried lighter shades in the warm and they are all orange and im not that pale. Im a medium shade. Thats why im wondering if it turns orange because i got the wrong undertone shade.

jellybeanjean
by All the makeup on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:46 PM
Lol trial and error my dear. Wash up your arm, hit Sephora ( or anywhere else you get makeup) and swatch like crazy. Everyone will say that the skin on your arm won't match for face.... So just know that when you do this you are looking for undertone....not the perfect shade....

Give it a few hours too.... Just to see which foundations oxidize on you too.

Or you can just stick to neutral shades. Olive too. Maybe you are not warm toned, right?

If you want to be even safer use a med or light coverage foundation ... It will be more forgiving and you won't have to worry about an exact colour shade.

MUFE face and body is nice. Goes on really sheer and you can build up....or use concealer for problem areas.

Quoting Anonymous: How can i tell which foundations are orange based?

Quoting jellybeanjean: Sometimes foundation will oxidize too.... Making them start out one shade and get more orange as time progresses....Not all warm foundations have an orange base though....some will be more yellow toned.... It's just a formulation thing..... Some foundations will have very strong orange base.... I notice that these tend to be fuller coverage. Like Kat von ds line .....Like I said before, orange will neutralize dark discolouration

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)