Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ewww girl that's nasty!!!!!! *small update*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 86 Replies
I have bad teeth. No scratch that I have horrible, nasty, decayed teeth and I can't remember the last time I was able to smile with confidence. I'm in pain all of the time. Lots of things have contributed to this including genetics, poor dental hygiene as a child, lack of proper dental care, poverty, and para thyroid gland removal. My teeth are literally falling out of my head.

I live a few hours from the Mexican border and constantly am hearing about people going to mexico for cheaper dental care. Has anyone ever done this or know anyone who has? How does one go about doing this? Is it legal? What are some pros and con's to doing it this way?

I have searched and searched online on how much I would need to save to get dentures and can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere. Most dentists I've called want over a hundred dollars just to tell me how much it will cost. I understand its for xrays but as a single mom living paycheck to paycheck it makes me feel hopeless and like I will have to live with these disgusting teeth (or lack of) forever.

One of my front teeth broke today and I've reached my breaking point. I can't even look in the mirror without feeling like crying. I practice smiling with my mouth shut. I am afraid to interview for jobs because of my nasty teeth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you don't know anything about this bumps are also welcome.

I only 32 and sometimes get so depressed over this its scary. I don't have any joy in my life because I am constantly worried about people judging me. I'm so miserable. I don't have the best credit and don't think anyone would give me a payment plan.

As I've said before I know this is disgusting so bash if you must. You can't make me feel any worse about myself and my life than I already do.

*Small update*

So I talked to a lady at my work who goes to Mexico for her dental needs (she has amazing teeth!) and she's getting me set up with her dentist in Mexico who takes payments. We are going to road trip there (she has family there) as soon as I come up with the initial payment. She also gave me the names of others who have been to this dentist and they are all super pleased with the care they received. He went to school on the states and practices in Mexico. I'm nervous but happy I'm finally taking steps to fix the issue. I will update and let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for the support it really helped me to set my embarrassment aside and take the first steps.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:43 PM
2 moms liked this

have you looked into dental schools? They offer reduced prices so the students can get practice. Sometimes they even pay you. 

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I have nothing bad to say.

I do feel petty hating my teeth. *hugs* I hope you find answers here .

owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Contact dental schools in your area they may be able to help.
incogNinja
by Whofflé on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Damn sorry. I don't live anywhere near Mexico so I am not familiar with that idea. You should look into getting some assistance
tossed
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I am in the same situation. I have several teeth that have broken to the gum line and EVERY tooth I have left is cracked or broken. I have issues with genetics, osteoporosis, vitamin D deficiency, lupus, and other causes of poor teen including a decade of steroids for the lupus. I contacted dental schools in my state, but was told they do not need any patients with my profile. I know that it will cost thousands to have my teeth pulled and to get dentures. Good luck. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM
I will do that thank you. I never even thought of that. Do you think I should just call and explain my situation? I live close to Phoenix, AZ so there has got to be at least a few you would think.

Quoting brettsmomma:

have you looked into dental schools? They offer reduced prices so the students can get practice. Sometimes they even pay you. 

ladyvamp5489
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I grew up with ppl doing that all the time, some have good experiences some have bad ones. Good luck and try to do more research on it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:49 PM
I could've written this post myself. I know exactly how you feel. Luckily I now have dental insurance and I have an appointment in 2 weeks to get a consult or dentures. I'm scared to death.
I would try looking into dental schools like someone mentioned. Good luck to you.
happinessforyou
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Find a dentist that will take payments.. the last thing I would do is go  to Mexico for anything health related... GL

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:51 PM

The Elks Lodge does help out those who need medical assistance, depending on if you can't afford the service you need.

I can't believe I forgot all about that. I would look into it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)