Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is five pounds a week unreasonable? EDIT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

Im working out. My goal is to lose five pounds a week, is that possible?

Thanks ladies.  From what you all are saying, the more realistic goal should be 1-3lbs a week.  I'm currently 265 and want to lose at least 80-90lbs.  I really appreciate the responses I got.  My goal is to be healthy, not starve myself or lose it so rapidly that it's unhealthy for me.  I thought five a week because I started walking last week and changed nothing else and lost five pounds in just six days, but from what you all are saying, it's normal to lose a lot at first and then the healthy amount is less than that a week.  Thanks again so much!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:27 PM
3 moms liked this

I think its a little high. From everything I've read 2-3 pounds a week is what is healthy. Even then, it doesn't always happen.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:28 PM

It depends on how much weight you have to lose and how much you currently weigh. Unless you are morbidly obese, the odds are very slim. A typical, healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs per week. In the beginning, you will lose more "water weight" than actual fat. 

To really put it into perspective for you: In order to lose 5 lbs per week, you would have to burn: 17,500 calories. One pound of fat contains 3500 calories, so you have to burn 3500 cals per week to lose just 1 lb. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Cocomicah
by time lord on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
That's a lot. You might get that in the beginning, but once you drop all the water weight, it won't be so easy to drop those lbs. 2-3 is healthy and realistic.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM

yes but its not really realistic or healthy. 2-3lbs per week much better. 

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:30 PM
No.
702girly
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:31 PM

It depends on how much weight you have to lose. If you have 100 pounds or more then yeah, you can lose 5 pounds a week for awhile. Eventually, it will slow down though.

The closer you are to a healthy weight, the less healthy that kind of weight loss is. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:31 PM

The only time I lost that much was in high school when I was anorexic. It isn't healthy to lose that much that fast.

angelachristine
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:31 PM

If you are really obese then probably but if you are just trying to lose 30 or 40 pounds probably not. I'm just going by watching all those weight loss shows so this is not really scientific and I could be totally wrong. If I am don't bash me. lol

The heaviest people could lose that much or more but the ones that had less to lose the weight comes off slower. 

ballerina18
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Possible, but very difficult. Better to aim for a loss of 1-3lbs a week.

prdmama1154
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I think it depends on how overweight you are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)