Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you move away from your family?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies

My husband is considering a job that would relocate us across the country. It would be a great opportunity, higher pay, new environment, better climate... but all of my family is here. My kids and my nieces and nephews are all around the same age. My parents and grandparents babysit my kids, and if we moved we'd have to entrust the kids to basically a stranger if we ever wanted a night out since we wouldn't know anyone in the new location. I think it would be good for me especially to break away from my family and step outside of my comfort zone... but it feels really selfish to take my kids away from their family, especially their cousins.

WWYD?

ETA: I feel like I should note that my husband has a good job here that he enjoys and we live quite comfortably. My family is awesome and we're all pretty close. The kids are still too little to have an opinion (preschool age and a baby). So we don't need this, which is why I'm so torn. But my first instinct was "HELL YEAH let's do it!" lol.

Thanks for the opinions, everyone! I feel a little less terrible for wanting to jump on this opportunity :)

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nmkj
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Been there done that. My family wasn't lining up to pay my bills when dh didn't have a job (not that I asked them nor would I ever ask or expect them to) and we had to do what we needed to live.
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM
I moved 1100 miles from mine. I don't regret it.
SpiritedWitch
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM

In a heartbeat. 

NipplePirate
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM
We did.
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I feel exactly the same as you, sorry. Best of luck no matter what you do mama!  :)

Tuned.Out
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I've lived 2k miles away from family for nearly 30 years. It's my personal preference. The only way I would live close to family is if I *had* to.

blessedtohave7
by Bahama Mama on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:33 PM
Yep...wouldn't think twice about it.
Adrianne122005
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:34 PM
I did and I regret it every day.
AngryBob
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:34 PM

i just moved across the country about six months ago. i didn't talk much with my family, though, so it wasn't a huge change.

i think staying in one place because of other people is silly, especially when the pay and everything else would be better for your family. you have to put your familiy first.

if being surrounded by them is worth it, then by all means, stay. but if it meant a better opportunity for my family, then take a dive! it would be a fun adventure.

who knows? you could meet some really neat people in your new place. i met a ton of really great people. i'm really glad we moved. i knew literally one person when i moved here, and she's an hour away so we don't see each other much. so i had to step out of my comfort zone, and i am having a lot of fun.

spunky946
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes if the opportunity was the right one for my family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)