Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do kids need dads?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 110 Replies
It seems like even in a committed relationship, some some like to wear the "pants" won't allow co parenting, and the husband is in the background- a walking sperm donor with a wallet. Especially if the woman has BPD, OCD and a narcissistic mom.

Then they split up- and the issue is about money, and the kids see their dads less.

So what is the point of dads? Kids only need their mom?

What is your relationship with your dad?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StreetsAhead
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:51 PM
3 moms liked this
I only have a dad - he is the best thing ever

Kids need parents who love them whoever they are and they also need to have role models and people in their lives of all genders
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:53 PM
I'm a daddy's girl. In fact, DS and I are at my parents house right now. For the next two weeks, we'll have fun and sun here in Florida.
Charlie557
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm extremely close with my dad. My mother and I have never been really close. She has dealt with mental illness all of her life and that always affected our relationship, it still does. I would have been lost as a child without my dad.

Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Kids need both parents. I normally make most of the parenting decisions, but always consult hubby and if he disagrees we talk it out and come to a mutual decision.

km1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I miss my dad. He's been gone 12 years, and not a day has gone by that I have not thought about him or missed him. My mom has been gone 3...again not single day has gone by. Each contributed not only dna, but helped shape who I am today. Without either one, I don't know know who I would be.

nellyoleson
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM
My dad was the provider type but I was the apple of his eye. Dh is much more hands on. I think kids need a good parent or parents but I am partial to dads!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:58 PM
I didn't have a good dad, but I was raised by an amazing grandpa
dizzy91
by Kelly on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:58 PM

My fiance and I 100% co-parent. He is my child's father and has just as much a right to make decisions about our son. He's a stay at home dad, so he's the primary caretaker right now.

My dad was my best friend my entire life growing up. He was a stay at home dad for the majority of my childhood, and we did everything together up until I was about 16. 

Kids need love. Regardless of where it comes from, they need it. Some kids only have a mom or a dad. Some kids have two parents. Some kids have grandparents. Some kids have complete strangers who take them in and love them. It's not a competition to see which person or sex is better when it comes to kids. It's about love, happiness, and who can give them what they need. 

Browncoat4eva
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I think kids need caring parents... and if 2 parents are in their lives, 2 parents should be involved. 

My dad passed away, but I was very close to him as a child. My mother was more in charge of day to day care, but my dad came home and night and listened to records with me, read me stories, took me to the park or beach, had tea parties with me.

Granted if a dad is not in a child's life a loving mom (or 2 of them, actually) could make up for it. 

But if the dad is at all in the child's life, he should be involved, and the mom has to deal with her problems to let him be involved. 

It's better to have one loving, caring, involved parent than it is to have 2 parents with one being indifferent and distant. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:59 PM
Yes but some kids don't have dads...like mine . My kids are 7 and 9 and their father has nothing to do with them. Its sad. All I can do is try to be there for them and give them extra kisses and hugs..they're extremely needy and attached to me. Dd will not sleep unless I give her kisses and tell her I love her...ds sleeps in my bed and freaks out if I'm not there when he falls asleep. I don't mind it ..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)