Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you ever help your child do their homework?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:42 PM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't mean give them advice or just help with encouraging words, I mean actually do a portion of their homework with or for them?

My niece came home today with an extremely large load of homework (she had to finish off a group project that's due tomorrow & there was a good bit of it left to do, plus her regular homework) AND after that, she had chores to do.  I knew there was no way she could get all of that done in a reasonable amount of time, so I sat down at the table and helped her.

Her group project was to create, draw, color, etc. a map.  Everything was done except the WHOLE thing needed colored--no white space was allowed, and it was a large sheet of paper that it was drawn on.

So I sat down & helped her color the whole thing.

And I don't feel bad about it.

But I can hear the bashing coming...

Do you ever help your children in that way?

It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.

Also, a little video games never hurt.

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
incogNinja
by Whofflé on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Lol. Come on. You colored ! For SHAME! That isn't the same as doing a page of math.
casah4
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Your signature is kinda funny in the context of this post.  LOL

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:44 PM

My sons school suggests having a parent be the homework partner. I love helping him. But I don't do it for him he has to learn it himself. Coloring a page? That's ok IMO> 

teenkabear
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Quoting incogNinja: Lol. Come on. You colored ! For SHAME! That isn't the same as doing a page of math.

Well I wouldn't do a page of math if somebody paid me.  Numbers give me a headache--always have!!

It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.

KristaP13
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Something like what you did, yes I would, but it's not like I would do her math homework for her lol 

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Quoting incogNinja: Lol. Come on. You colored ! For SHAME! That isn't the same as doing a page of math.

Exactly.

There is a huge difference between helping do the superficial decorating and actually doing the work for them.

teenkabear
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Quoting casah4:

Well she already knows how to color, she's in 7th grade. lol

She was just overwhelmed by it all, and it really was too much. I told her I felt like her partner in the project slacked a little, but she said she didn't think so.

incogNinja
by Whofflé on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:47 PM
My daughter is going into 6th grade. I have slight anxiety here lol

Quoting teenkabear:

Well I wouldn't do a page of math if somebody paid me.  Numbers give me a headache--always have!!

Spam72
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:47 PM
I would help with busy work like coloring but not do math problems for them
casah4
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting teenkabear:

Quoting casah4:

Well she already knows how to color, she's in 7th grade. lol

She was just overwhelmed by it all, and it really was too much. I told her I felt like her partner in the project slacked a little, but she said she didn't think so.

You don't have to justify it to me. I think it's fine. I just thought it was funny.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)