Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Charter Schools?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM
  • 28 Replies
Anyone have their child in one?

My husband is pushing to enroll our 1st and 3rd grader in one here and I'm not entirely for it but he's trying to change my mind.

Opinions? Experiences?
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:05 PM
Bump!
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Nope, here's a bump.

ARACMOM
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:06 PM
I have, but not currently. It really just depends on the school.
Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:10 PM
Thanks!

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Nope, here's a bump.

Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:12 PM
This one goes from 8:30-5:00, starts the day with educational chants, and makes students do chess and tennis.

Not to mention it's been open only 2 years here.

I'm not entirely thrilled but my husband says it will challenge our kids who aren't being challenged in public school,

Quoting ARACMOM: I have, but not currently. It really just depends on the school.
DawnPratt23
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:12 PM
My oldest attends a charter arts& science academy & really happy with the small class sizes, personal relationships with staff. He's been in robotics club, and competitions the last 5 yrs. They are also covering the tech college costs because of his GPA. My younger 3 attend a virtual charter school, and it's been great. We have had good results with the ones we attend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM

My son is waitlisted at a charter school that only accepts dyslexic students.  We are going to reapply for next year--hopefully he'll get in.

Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Do you feel your child still has the chance to be a kid? Do you have time to do sports and activities outside of school? Are their expectations reasonable? I'm just so on the fence, this one sounds like a boot camp type of environment with high academic expectations that I know my girls could achieve but I want them to enjoy the learning process so they're eager.

Quoting DawnPratt23: My oldest attends a charter arts& science academy & really happy with the small class sizes, personal relationships with staff. He's been in robotics club, and competitions the last 5 yrs. They are also covering the tech college costs because of his GPA. My younger 3 attend a virtual charter school, and it's been great. We have had good results with the ones we attend.
BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM

My oldest son went to Kindergarten at one. It was nice. The teacher was wonderful, very communicative. The classroom was nice, the school was nice, they had uniforms, which I loved. 

But then we moved to a different state and he started going to a private school. 

ARACMOM
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM
That's not necessarily true. Being a charter school doesn't mean it's a better education.

Quoting Tooth_Inspector: This one goes from 8:30-5:00, starts the day with educational chants, and makes students do chess and tennis.

Not to mention it's been open only 2 years here.

I'm not entirely thrilled but my husband says it will challenge our kids who aren't being challenged in public school,

Quoting ARACMOM: I have, but not currently. It really just depends on the school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)