Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler helping pick up

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

My son is going to be 3 in a few days here and LOVES to make big messes out of his toys. He has gotten a lot better at it lately but still does it occasionally. I was joking with my mom about it and she said I should teach him to pick up after himself which I, honestly, had never thought of doing until he was older but thought it would be a good idea to teach him responsibility.

How would you approach this? Would you give him a reward every time he cleans up after himself or what?

Just so everyone knows he is not very verbal at all so he doesn't communicate like your normal 3 year old would and we are going to deal with that at his 3 year appointment in 2 weeks.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzanneyea
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Clearly, I can be of no help

Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:11 PM

The second my girls were able to pick things up. They started to help put away their toys. I would make a game out of it and focus on one thing at a time.

KristaP13
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:11 PM

My kids have been helping me pick up their toys since they could walk. 

IMO the best way to go about it at his age would probably be to make a game out of it so he can get used to doing it. 

zeenah
by Zarah on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I usually ask and dd (2.5 yo, 3 in Nov) will clean up. I tell her where to put things mostly but she knows most of it by now. Other times depending on the size of the mess I start and ask if she wants to help mommy clean up and she almost always says yes.

Never stop smiling like the sun never stops shining...

mysticatgal
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Ds is 18 months and I show him how to help. He likes to put toys in the buckets and hear us cheer. He doesn't have much vocal understanding but we make it work
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM
My 18m old has been picking up her own toys for like 6m now. We make it a game. Every time she puts a toy in the basket we clap and say "yay!!!" My three year old cleans her messes on her own, including her room.
Silvernail
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Mine is 2 and I just ask him to help me put his toys in the toy box it blocks in their bag. When we first started this (a couple months before his 2nd birthday) I start and show him where I wanted his stuff. If toys aren't going in something, like they sit in a corner, I ask him to bring it to me and I arrange it neatly the way I want it.
Stashlee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM
I give a lot of direction. Ex: "Hey buddy, can you put the green car in your toy box please." Then lots of praise for doing it. Telling my almost 3 year old that I am proud of him gets me better results than any other reward.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I would just tell him that it is time to clean up and that he needs to help mommy with it.  This will take lots of patience since it will take longer with him learning how to do it through helping you.   Make sure you do it when he wants to switch activities so he can learn the transitions rather than saving it all for end of day.

MooseMomma
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM
My son is two. I just tell him it's time to clean up and ask him to help mommy. He loves to be my helper so that helps.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)