Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm a horrible mother

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:18 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son is in the 3rd grade. They started school last Thursday so this is the first full week.

His teacher's rule is if you forget your homework then you sit out recess to finish your forgotten homework.

My son is upset with me because I won't ask his teacher not to make him sit out recess.

He asked me to write her a note. So, I did. It said (teacher's name)- my son's name forgot his homework last night. Thanks.

I refuse to try to get him out of his punishment. He wasn't punished at home. But I also won't go saving him from himself.

He is a smart kid and he understands the rules. I know he doesn't want to miss recess.

So, he told me I was a horrible mom and he hated me. I told him, good then I am doing my job.

He knows he has to follow the rules at school and he is not the exception to the rule. I have never saved him before. I won't start now.

He needs to learn that mistakes happen and it's okay but that doesn't mean that they come with out consequences.

I bet he won't forget his homework again for awhile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kadcas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this
So, he told me I was a horrible mom and he hated me. I told him, good then I am doing my job.
Right answer, you did good!
Mandymb
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM
Did he forget to bring his homework home so he could go it? Or he forgot to bring it back to school?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM
He needs to learn there are consequences for not doing what he is supposed to. You did the right thing. But on the other hand he's in 3rd grade, it's only the first week of school and he's already not doing homework. It's your job to make sure all his homework is done at the end of the night.
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't write my kids a note either.

Although I wouldn't say I was doing my job right because they hated me though.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM
I think you did the right thing, but I think the teachers rule is silly.

Kids need recess at that age. Taking away recess will only create more behavioural problems in the classroom. That's not to say that there shouldn't be a Penalty for forgotten homework, but that is not the right one.
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM
He didn't bring it home. He had math homework and he didn't bring home his.math book.

Quoting Mandymb: Did he forget to bring his homework home so he could go it? Or he forgot to bring it back to school?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree that the teacher's rule is silly but it's not my classroom. I don't make the rules. Nor am I going to tell the teacher how to do her job.

Quoting Retrokitty: I think you did the right thing, but I think the teachers rule is silly.

Kids need recess at that age. Taking away recess will only create more behavioural problems in the classroom. That's not to say that there shouldn't be a Penalty for forgotten homework, but that is not the right one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep it's the first week.

So when should the teacher start enforcing the rules?

It's his job to bring his homework home. If he doesn't bring it home, I can't very well make sure he does it now can I?

He has to take responsibility for his actions or lack of actions. In this case, it's a lack of action. The teacher told him his homework, he wrote it down. Then he left the book at school.

There is nothing I can do about it.

He will survive. He will learn his lesson. And in the end, he will be a better person for it.

Quoting Anonymous: He needs to learn there are consequences for not doing what he is supposed to. You did the right thing. But on the other hand he's in 3rd grade, it's only the first week of school and he's already not doing homework. It's your job to make sure all his homework is done at the end of the night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:50 PM
We need more parents like you! Good job mommy!
staceysgorbach
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:51 PM
How is he able to not to do his HOMEwork? Is there no one at home making sure he is doing it?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)