Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Calling all DENTISTS.... HELP! *Update*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies
My wisdom teeth are coming in and it feels like all my teeth are being pulled out at once. My face is so swollen, even under my jaw.

I went to the dentist and they took ex rays, my teeth are em packed. But they said there is nothing they can do until the swelling goes down. So I went to the ER and they prescribed penicillin, so now I have to deal with this horrible pain until the swelling goes away.

Is this normal procedure? I'm in so much pain, I can barely open my jaw, and I can't eat anything. Should I go to another dentist or deal with the pain until the swelling goes away?

Update-
I called a different dentist and he said that he wouldn't be able to do anything until the swelling goes down. Just like the first one. I'm in SO MUCH PAIN I feel like taking the tooth out myself! I can't take take anything but Tylenol, (NSAIDs & pain meds make me sick). Does anyone have any home treatments for pain management? Anything at all, my jaw hurts so bad!
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Bump
amandajoy21
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:45 PM

If you are in that much pain I would seek a second opinion. Mine were impacted and they just cut the gum and extracted the impacted tooth. That being said if it is infected it is harder to numb the area so it may hurt more than if you can wait for the antibiotics to do their job.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/amandajoy21
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM
:( sounds like I have to suck it up and wait. I really don't want to =.[

Quoting amandajoy21:

If you are in that much pain I would seek a second opinion. Mine were impacted and they just cut the gum and extracted the impacted tooth. That being said if it is infected it is harder to numb the area so it may hurt more than if you can wait for the antibiotics to do their job.

torinicole89
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I would go to another dentist mine were impacted and they did surgery to remove all of mine while I was swollen....

Bibliomaniac
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Call them back and ask them to prescribe you something for the pain. And Ibueprofen and an ice pack will do wonders for the swelling.

Quoting Anonymous: :( sounds like I have to suck it up and wait. I really don't want to =.[

Quoting amandajoy21:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:54 PM
NSAIDs make me sick :(

Quoting Bibliomaniac: Call them back and ask them to prescribe you something for the pain. And Ibueprofen and an ice pack will do wonders for the swelling.

Quoting Anonymous: :( sounds like I have to suck it up and wait. I really don't want to =.[

Quoting amandajoy21:

Seasal
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I had to go to an oral surgeon to get mine out. Is your dentist going to do it himself? If he didnt /can't give you anti biotics or codeine, you shouldnt let him do your surgery.

Call around to surgeons and ask if they can help you asap. Also ask their policy on pain meds cause it sounds like you really need them. Your dentist should have given you something. Or can you go to your family dr for pain meds til you can get them out. I hope you feel better soon. Tooth pain SUCKS!.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:59 PM
Pain meds make me really sick, Tylenol is the only thing I can keep down :(

Quoting Seasal: I had to go to an oral surgeon to get mine out. Is your dentist going to do it himself? If he didnt /can't give you anti biotics or codeine, you shouldnt let him do your surgery.

Call around to surgeons and ask if they can help you asap. Also ask their policy on pain meds cause it sounds like you really need them. Your dentist should have given you something. Or can you go to your family dr for pain meds til you can get them out. I hope you feel better soon. Tooth pain SUCKS!.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:36 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:47 AM
I had the same thing happen to me twice. Both times I had to wait for the swelling to go away and take penn for the infection. The last time, the infection was so bad that I had to take two full rounds of antibiotics for the infection to get cleared up. Talk about miserable!
The only thing that would take the pain away was putting pressure on the area but once released it hurt like a SOB! There's not a single thing you can tolerate for the pain? :(
I know it's excruciating.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)