Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't buy the Seresto collar!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
The seresto collar is a 8 month flea and tick collar sold by Bayer I got it from my vets office and it was pretty pricey but I thought wow it lasts so long I wanted to try it. At first I was thrilled with it but about 2 months ago I found two ticks thankfully dead at that time. Today it was giving my dog a belly rub and noticed about 3 fleas going in seperate directions. I was mad!!!! I didn't pay a bunch of money for something that doesn't work. When I noticed the ticks I called Bayer and the woman told me they were dead so the collar was working but to treat my yard. Which we did. I gave my dog a bath and as soon as the water hit her I saw about 10 fleas go in different directions.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and request a refund for my collar that I've only had 4 months or request a replacement collar that works. Now I'm afraid I need to treat my house. I've seen no fleas around the house nor have we ever had fleas. Help!!! Do I need to set some bug bombs off??
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Probably not.
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I have had really good luck with Trifexis (heartworm, tick and flea deterrant).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM
I thought I saw online where people were saying that was killing dogs. It might have been another one I'll look into it thanks!

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

Scoodaisy
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Flea collars only treat around the head and neck and they are not safe for humans. Best product is Frontline Plus. If purchased through your vet and not online, the product is guaranteed. The liquid is applied between the shoulder blades and is safe to touch. No bathing the pet at least 2-3days before or after the application. It works with the oils in the coat. It starts killing fleas and ticks within 24 hours of applying.
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:22 PM

We cannot do Frontline because it's impossible to reach skin due to my dog's fur.  I fought fleas every summer (I don't live in a high tick area).  I also have small children who pet the dog - so the Frontline remnants did not make me feel comfortable on my wire hair terrier mix.  Also the same reason I am not keen on flea collars.

I won't lie - there are dogs that have passed away from Trifexis.  It is a very small percentage compared to those who passed away from complications due to heartworms and/or tick born diseases.

We learned about three months after we adopted our dog he was heartworm positive.  We later learned unless it specifically said heartworm negative at the shelter that in all likelihood, they were positive.  That was an expensive lesson but he had our heart.  And I have friends whose dogs have contracted Lyme - their expense was much higher.

Is there a risk, yes.  But it is an effective med.

Quoting Anonymous: I thought I saw online where people were saying that was killing dogs. It might have been another one I'll look into it thanks!
Quoting OneAllergicMama:

theTosh.O
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:25 PM

It perks great for my fat cat. I'm sorry about your dog.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:33 PM
I'm glad that med works I'll look into it. I'm also sorry to hear about your baby having heartworms hopefully y'all have plenty of years together!

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

We cannot do Frontline because it's impossible to reach skin due to my dog's fur.  I fought fleas every summer (I don't live in a high tick area).  I also have small children who pet the dog - so the Frontline remnants did not make me feel comfortable on my wire hair terrier mix.  Also the same reason I am not keen on flea collars.

I won't lie - there are dogs that have passed away from Trifexis.  It is a very small percentage compared to those who passed away from complications due to heartworms and/or tick born diseases.

We learned about three months after we adopted our dog he was heartworm positive.  We later learned unless it specifically said heartworm negative at the shelter that in all likelihood, they were positive.  That was an expensive lesson but he had our heart.  And I have friends whose dogs have contracted Lyme - their expense was much higher.

Is there a risk, yes.  But it is an effective med.

Quoting Anonymous: I thought I saw online where people were saying that was killing dogs. It might have been another one I'll look into it thanks!

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)