Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

PLEASE HELP!! CHILD WITH ADHD/ADD

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies
Hi moms. I am new to the group and would first like to start off by saying hello. Hopefully this is a no judge zone...hopefully. I am the mother of a six year old son that has been dual diagnosed. He has both ADD as well as ADHD. We are in our second week of school and he is already getting into trouble. The trouble actually started on the second day of school. Most of the the time it is the small things, like not being able to sit still or be quiet. Then at other times he just seems to do whatever he wants and it is driving me freaking nuts! He is currently on TENEX. At this point I can't tell you if it is working or not. Can I be honest ladies? I need help. What I have shared is not even the surface of the issues that I am having with him. His behavior is starting to depress me. I am afraid because at times I feel like I don't like him....not that I don't love him but that these issues are making my life hell. I live in a city alone without any family so it is just myself and 2 children... I know that this also plays a part. Please if you are going to judge or say anything negative..DONT. I am just a mother seeking the help and advice of other moms that may have more info and ways to deal with this than I do. Thank you in advance ladies.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tisha826
by Tisha on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Last year my ds started kindergarten, he was always getting in trouble there and on the bus for not staying in his seat, interrupting, not focusing, and being disruptive. He struggled with reading and was below grade level or had an area of concern in every area of his report card. I took him to the doc and he was diagnosed with adhd, he was put on a low dose of methylphenidate and it really helped him a lot! I did try changing his diet, more exercise nothing helped much, and I was tired of him getting into trouble for something he couldn't control, he's not a mean, aggressive or tantrumy kid just hyper! Now he's reading, got most improved in his class, his report card is improved by two grades, and he's really doing great! The meds don't turn him into a zombie, and shouldn't as long as the dose is right. I only give it to him when he has school, or something that requires focus. Don't listen anyone who will try to make you feel bad if you decide to use meds, do what's best for your son. Goodluck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Does he have a 504 or IEP? Students actually diagnosed with ADHD where I teach tend to qualify for one or the other. The IEP qualification comes in if the health impairment is affecting academics. When working with such students, many times a BIP, behavior Intervention Plan is helpful. Some students have behavior sheets, prompts, the assistance of a classroom aide, etc to help with focusing issues.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:14 PM
((Tears))) Thank you so much to everyone that has responded. I am so grateful to you all. I do love my baby more than words can say. I just don't know what to do at times. Thank you for not bashing me and sharing your wisdom. He dies not have an iep or anything like that. I do have a meeting tomorrow to discuss these types of things with his school. Hopefully we can get on track really quick and I can also get some help for myself. Again thank you so much. Also is their a difference in the iep or the 504?
crazymomof281
by Melissa on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Tenex is a non stimulate most of the time they are given with a stimulate as a booster dose. I would speak to the doctor about maybe adding something like adderall or vyvanse my son 11 takes adderall and tenex. I would also start pushing for an IEP as well.
I will give you this advice. It took me over a year to get my sons iep going. So you will have to get on them and stay on them. I will not go anonymous so you can pm if you would like. My son was diagnosed at age 5 he is now 11.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:31 PM
Thank you so much. Last year (kindergarten) we gave Adderall a try without anything else. It delayed him so bad. I'm not sure if it was the dose or what, but so much so that he couldn't make it to the bathroom and started going on himself. His teachers were not understanding at al, and even threatened that I would have to take him out of school for not being potty trained. Mind you he has been potty trained since he was 1. Needless to say I tried to stick with it and put pull ups on him so no one would know if he had an accident. So, that medication didn't work for us but I will be making an appointment soon to see what other options we have.

Quoting crazymomof281: Tenex is a non stimulate most of the time they are given with a stimulate as a booster dose. I would speak to the doctor about maybe adding something like adderall or vyvanse my son 11 takes adderall and tenex. I would also start pushing for an IEP as well.
I will give you this advice. It took me over a year to get my sons iep going. So you will have to get on them and stay on them. I will not go anonymous so you can pm if you would like. My son was diagnosed at age 5 he is now 11.
rebel1366
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

consistancy, and a reward chart worked well with our son, and some medications don't work for everyone. took us 4 medications before we found one that worked. hang in there it will get better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Does he see a pediatrician or a psychiatrist? Most of the ttime non stimulate work mainly towards concentration and focus but not much help with the hyperactivity. I would also look into behavior therapy especially if he can't take stimulates. I am not a big fan of concerta, folician, or Ritalin mainly because my son had a reaction to them but they can also look into those a well.

Quoting Anonymous: Thank you so much. Last year (kindergarten) we gave Adderall a try without anything else. It delayed him so bad. I'm not sure if it was the dose or what, but so much so that he couldn't make it to the bathroom and started going on himself. His teachers were not understanding at al, and even threatened that I would have to take him out of school for not being potty trained. Mind you he has been potty trained since he was 1. Needless to say I tried to stick with it and put pull ups on him so no one would know if he had an accident. So, that medication didn't work for us but I will be making an appointment soon to see what other options we have.

Quoting crazymomof281: Tenex is a non stimulate most of the time they are given with a stimulate as a booster dose. I would speak to the doctor about maybe adding something like adderall or vyvanse my son 11 takes adderall and tenex. I would also start pushing for an IEP as well.
TheFairestOne
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Get an iep in place. This will offer him more services and hopefully some one on one interaction. Dealt with this ALL last year to the point we were almost kicked out of school. No fun.
tisha826
by Tisha on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Have you tried methylphenidate? A low dose worked wonders for my son.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:46 PM
He does have a pediatrician and we are currently looking for a new psychiatrist or counselor. Finding a good one has been a bit of a challenge but I am certainly searching...hard!

Quoting Anonymous: Does he see a pediatrician or a psychiatrist? Most of the ttime non stimulate work mainly towards concentration and focus but not much help with the hyperactivity. I would also look into behavior therapy especially if he can't take stimulates. I am not a big fan of concerta, folician, or Ritalin mainly because my son had a reaction to them but they can also look into those a well.

Quoting Anonymous: Thank you so much. Last year (kindergarten) we gave Adderall a try without anything else. It delayed him so bad. I'm not sure if it was the dose or what, but so much so that he couldn't make it to the bathroom and started going on himself. His teachers were not understanding at al, and even threatened that I would have to take him out of school for not being potty trained. Mind you he has been potty trained since he was 1. Needless to say I tried to stick with it and put pull ups on him so no one would know if he had an accident. So, that medication didn't work for us but I will be making an appointment soon to see what other options we have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)