Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know what to do with my 6 year old

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

If you're going to bash about spanking please move on to another post.

None of my other children are like this, I discipline them all the same and they have th e same rules. However NOTHING works with my 6 year old. I use spanking as a last resort, and never use objects only a hand to the bottom.

She has always had a problem listening, will never do what she's told no mater what punishment. Time outs never worked, she'd just giggle and talk to the wall and go back and do the same thing again. Taking her toys away, even her favorite, never worked. Even when she never got them back. Spanking, she cries for maybe a minute and goes back to what she was doing like she had never been corrected. We've talked, begged, pleaded, bribed, threatned, yelled at. NOTHING gets through. My other kids only have to be told once to do something and they do it. I've never even had to spank my 8 year old in her life.

Tonight was when I realized things were out of hand. Yesterday she got grounded because she was told not to go ouside. The second my back was turned she was outside and across the street at the nieghbors house. I called her back to the house three times. The neighbor even told her to go home because I was calling for her. She ignored us. I went over there and got her, picked her up, and carried her inside. I popped her butt and sent her to bed. I go to change the baby and I hear the door close. She's outside again. This happened up until her father got home and then when he left she did it again.

Tonight, as soon as her dad leaves, she's bolted out the door. I've had to physically bring her back inside the house. I finally resorted to popping her with the belt and sent her to bed. She has stayed there however she keeps whining that she's not tired or is thirsty or bored (she's had all toys taken away). That's the point of punishment however I know her and she'll be back outside tomorrow even though we've grounded her until the end of August from playing or watching tv.

I dont know what I am doing wrong. My toddler doesn't even act this bad.  I don't know what to do and it's driving me crazy. I just want to scream or cry or both. I feel like  a bad mother because I have to spank her and she still won't listen.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amybelle
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM

NEVER-EVER spank with anything but your hand (& I really disagree with even that most of the time)

BrutalTruth
by urbullyisshowing on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Idk man, that sounds annoying. I guess just keep putting her in her room and let her be bored? I'm sure someone here has better advice than that though.
Spam72
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you considered she's odd or ebd? Hitting her is like hitting a diabetic kid for high blood sugar rather than seeking medical attention
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I can tell you what grounded is into house, I have a similar child she's always getting into stuff or doing things she knows she shouldn't do. Turns out she's extremely gifted, I try to keep her mind always working it's exhausting but if she has idle time she's into shit. In my house there is no time to be bored while grounded, any kid grounded has extra chores to do constantly even if I have to make stuff up for them to do. They do not want to be grounded because it's exhausting for them.
imyourPuppy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:48 PM
I'm sorry, I've got nothing. My niece got kicked out from the day camp for bad behavior today. We really don't know what to do with her. :-(
GaleJ
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:26 PM
3 moms liked this
I personally think that restricting a child in this way is just cruel and unnecessary. It is high summer and she should be outside enjoying it. Maybe you should try working with the child in a positive way and not be so controlling.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Put a lock high up on the door that she cant reach. Or, keep her in the same room as you at all times until you can learn to trust she wont run off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:32 PM
The child is 6 and should be following rules and not doing whatever she damn well pleases. Im sure if she was behaving she could go outside. Obviously thats not the case. The child needs to learn to listen.

Quoting GaleJ: I personally think that restricting a child in this way is just cruel and unnecessary. It is high summer and she should be outside enjoying it. Maybe you should try working with the child in a positive way and not be so controlling.
LUvmYBOyS2009
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Yeah since I had my second my now four yr old has been acting up and both my boys team up on is so the only thing that works is putting them In separate rooms and leave them there till they stop crying and or screaming . Doesn't matter how long it take I stick to it. My husband hTes I do it but they take advantage of him and don't always listen to him cause he always gives in
TheFairestOne
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM
No idea. My 6 year old is a handful, too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)