Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

photography moms, I have a question please?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

I have been reading a lot on a photography forum and I was told I should be shooting in RAW format. I want to give it a try but will my computer be able to open and process a RAW file? I shoot with a Nikon, I use Photoshop CC and Lightroom. My computer uses Windows XP. (Yeah I know, I know, don't judge).

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:35 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:43 PM

BUMP!

peregrinus
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM

You'll need a program, like photoshop (or one of many open source) to view, edit, and process the raw files.

eztwins
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Photoshop and Lightroom have raw processors. The software opens it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Whew. Thank goodness. I wonder how many photos I can take on my memory card without it filling up completely due to the massive size of each RAW file?

Quoting eztwins: Photoshop and Lightroom have raw processors. The software opens it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Also, does anyone know what the RAW+JPEG option is all about for nikons?

momtimesx4
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Photoshop can open and process RAW files....CC as in Creative Cloud?  Yeah, you're covered.

momtimesx4
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Also, does anyone know what the RAW+JPEG option is all about for nikons?

The camera will save the image file as a RAW file and a JPEG file....best of both worlds.  Depending on the camera, will take longer to process the file and will take up more space on the card.

BaltimoreBaby
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Don't do JPEG and RAW - if you fully intend on processing the photos, the JPEG will just take up space.
eztwins
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:55 PM
My old camera had a compact flash 2g maybe and I filled it at about 200 pics. Idk how many my new ad 8g card can hold. It also depends on what camera you have...more megapixels more data in raw so bigger file. Don't do raw and JPEG. When you process your raw file you will get a processed JPEG anyway and it will be what you create.

Quoting Anonymous:

Whew. Thank goodness. I wonder how many photos I can take on my memory card without it filling up completely due to the massive size of each RAW file?

Quoting eztwins: Photoshop and Lightroom have raw processors. The software opens it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)