Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for the Gym?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:07 PM
  • 33 Replies

So I completed paperwork to join a local gym. It was a perk for signing a new lease with our apartment complex. I was trying to figure out how I could swing gym membership fees with everything beforehand, so this is actually a stroke of luck.

The thing is, with my work schedule, I may not be able to go more than three days a week max. And probably and 1-2 hours tops.

I haven't weighed myself in about a month or so, but I know that I've recently gained weight, so I'm probably around 190 lbs. I'm 5'2".

My question for all you gym bunnies out there, is how can I use what little time I have for the maximum effect to get fit and trim? I don't want to use free weights until I build up some stamina and endurance, but I'm not afraid of the weight machines. Everything needs toned up: stomach, arms, thighs and butt.

Maybe some diet tips to for a picky eater who's not fond of vegetables?

Thanks!

Edit: My goal weight is 140 lbs., but I wouldn't mind weighing less than that.

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Get over not liking vegetables, and find some you like.  Cut back on carbs, only use whole grains, and lots of lean protein.

Cardio is essential.  At least 1/2 hour at a time.   Best to do free weights after doing cardio.

And try to fit in a few more days.  Maybe very early in the morning?

Aoibheann
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:14 PM

I basically have a swing shift at work. I rotate opening and closing every other week at my job. The early evening hours I can handle and work out more then. But the weeks that  I close, I have my son and he's homeschooled, so it's not like I can drop him off at school and then go workout. I probably could since he's homeschooled by his SM, but I'd feel guilty for cutting into our time together since I only have him every other week.

The gym has Kid Care, so I may try to swing an extra $10 a month for that fee. But since the gym membership is a perk and I'm not paying for it, that may be a stretch. My finances are tight as it is.

Thanks for the advice!

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Get over not liking vegetables, and find some you like.  Cut back on carbs, only use whole grains, and lots of lean protein.

Cardio is essential.  At least 1/2 hour at a time.   Best to do free weights after doing cardio.

And try to fit in a few more days.  Maybe very early in the morning?

Aoibheann
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM

BUMP!

incogNinja
by Whofflé on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Last person to know ...lol.. But here's a bump. Good job 👍
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Zumba!
Aoibheann
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! I know I haven't started yet, still waiting for the members card, etc., but I could use the motivation. The last time I tried working out, it lasted two months. And that was when I could actually afford to go. Lol.

Quoting incogNinja: Last person to know ...lol.. But here's a bump. Good job 👍

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Your biggest issue is what you put IN your body. A session at the gym may burn 500 calories, but that will be a moot point if you eat a 700 calorie sundae.

If you're only going to go for 2 hours a week or so I'd just focus on cardio.

Aoibheann
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I tried Zumba here at home and I could barely stand on my feet. I don't have rhythm for anything, and I never accomplished anything.

Quoting Anonymous: Zumba!

momto1ryen
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Find our your bmr and that will help you figure out how much you meed to be eating for weight loss. 3 days a weeks is better than no days a week ofcourse but what about working out at home other days when your time is limited? Something like T25 would be a good option. I only workout from home since my dh is at work most often and I have 3 young kiddos. I'm extrmemly fit so it completely do able as a back up option. Biggest thing is not to push yourself to hard to fast.
mich2.0
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:30 PM

You only need an hour in the gym. Anything more than that is quantity, not quality. Train hard, vary your workouts, and don't skip the weights in the beginning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)