Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How far would you go... **Edit w/extra info**

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:26 AM
  • 63 Replies

for a kids birthday party? DS b-day is coming up and I have to start planning. Problem is, in a tiny town all the fun party locations are at least a 45min drive from our town. Of course I want there to be other kids at the party otherwise my money is wasted and ds doesn't have as much fun. So how far do you think is too far to drive for a party?

*Just a note kids invited will be classmates and/or football teammates. Family lives too far away to come

***To add a little more info for everyone-- DS will be turning 8 in October. I start planning early to save money for everything. The weather that time of year here can be a bit unpredictable so I generally try to find an indoor spot to have it. No matter whether it's indoor or outdoor, we live with my parents and they're not ok with hosting a party here so home parties are out :(  We're thinking of having it a science museum that is in the next big town over. Depending of what side of town people are coming from the drive would be 30-45 minutes. This is actually the closest of venues I looked at. The party package itself is pretty good. It includes all day museum admission for up to 25 people w/ discounted admission for extras, 2 hours in the party room, a craft for the kids to do and take home with them. Plus, they have a deal with a pizza place for catering so if I use them I get a big discount. I provide food, drinks, and cake, and would have enough for everyone that RSVPs (kids and parents)

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rebeccarae
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I would not drive 45 minutes but if that's all of the options, people in your town may drive that as it is. See what everyone has gone to or would be okay with. Good luck.
AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd definitely drive 45 minutes. It's not too far, and it's for the kids!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I think 30 mins would be our driving limit unless it was something extremely awesome.
supergasper
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:42 AM

If one of my kids were invited to a party that far away, sure I'd drive them.  I wouldn't my kid or yours to be disappointed.   If I were the one planning the party though, I wouldn't plan something that far away unless I was providing the transportation. 

Bumblebutt
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I would go around that far but that's pretty much as far as it gets. And it really depends on who it's for. Family? Sure, best close friends of mine or the kids? Yes. Otherwise, nope

FLmom26
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:01 AM

Thanks, that gives me the idea of offering car-pooling with a few people if they need to.

Quoting supergasper:

If one of my kids were invited to a party that far away, sure I'd drive them.  I wouldn't my kid or yours to be disappointed.   If I were the one planning the party though, I wouldn't plan something that far away unless I was providing the transportation. 

FLmom26
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:03 AM

I'm thinking a science museum, we have one pretty close that does parties. DS is really big into science and animals

Quoting Anonymous: I think 30 mins would be our driving limit unless it was something extremely awesome.

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:06 AM

We also live in an area where the good party places are 45mins-1 hour away so that's how far we'd go...but we also live 20 minutes from anything so we're use to driving a good distance.

readyforhim
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:07 AM

if other parties have been held at those locations, sure, there are no other options.

FLmom26
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:19 AM

Yeah, kinda stinks being so far from places doesn't it. I'm not a fan of really small towns :/

Quoting MrsApple:

We also live in an area where the good party places are 45mins-1 hour away so that's how far we'd go...but we also live 20 minutes from anything so we're use to driving a good distance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)