Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms with boys: Does anyone know...?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 162 Replies

My DS 15 will be starting high school next year and has been going to a private school where school uniforms are issued and they never had to change for gym.  Recently, we were on a family vacation and my nephew asked to borrow one of DS's shirts because he had none that were clean to wear to the beach.  I told him that was fine and he was welcome to go through DS's suitcase and find whatever he needed.

He later came to me and told me that he noticed that DS had only briefs in his suitcase.  He then informed me that in the high school locker room that is something that kids can get made fun of and most of the kids wear boxers or boxer briefs and that high school seniors will often use anything they can to pick on the freshman and feel superior to them.

I went out and bought DS boxer briefs and boxers but he didn't like either and said he wasn't worried about it. The only hesitation I have is that I know that he's very sensitive to teasing and I know how mean kids can be.

Does anyone know if this is something that happens in locker rooms? Are all the boys wearing boxers now to avoid getting teased? DH has always worn briefs but to be honest he's definitely not the best role model.  I just really can't imagine why kids care about what kind of underwear each other are wearing, but who knows.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firespurity
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Have you seen the posts these adult women make about men in briefs? Yea...
JackAttacks
by Angel on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:45 AM

yes its definitely something HS boys will tease about. does it make them jerks? Yes! but it still happens.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:46 AM

It's unfortunate, but yeah, he will most likely get made fun of for it. Maybe boxer briefs? A lot of guys wear them.

sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:46 AM
He will get made fun of for sure. My SO was a football player in HS, and the stories he has told me scare me
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Yes he will be teased :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM
My husband HATES briefs. Him and my kids wear boxer briefs. They say that they are more comfortable.
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Unfortunately, yes, he will probably get teased.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Yes he will be teased.

DS is 5 and wears boxers. I figured the earlier the better, that way it's not hard to adjust. He likes wearing the same type of underwear as DH. It was his choice. He asked me.

I would talk to DS again about reconsidering.
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM

No one that I know of get picked on for that but they also don't change in front of each other either.  They have private changing rooms. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM
My son is starting 3rd grade, so I can't comment about HS boys. But last year in 2nd grade he did become very conscious of his Star Wars briefs. He chose briefs that were longer down the leg (I don't know what they are called)

I'm an older mom so I find it funny how negative people are about tighty whiteys. When I was in college in the 80s briefs were the cool thing to wear.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN