Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Photography moms

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies
I have an opportunity to start my own photography side business going.

I started looking into lights and backdrops. I know there are some amazing photographers here, so I thought I would ask and see if I could get personal preferences.

What are the absolute needs I would need?

What are things that are not needed but often bought anyway?

This will be a home studio that I will work at here and slowly venture out. Not a big budget but I want quality first, so if there is a brand that is a for sure no go or for sure go to please share!

Thanks in advance!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:05 AM
4 moms liked this
First of all do you own a dslr and know how to use it in manual? If not don't bother.
AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:06 AM
Lol

Quoting Anonymous: First of all do you own a dslr and know how to use it in manual? If not don't bother.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a great investment! There is definitely a great demand for more SAHM turned amateur photographers.
AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:14 AM
2 moms liked this
You guys are so mean. Lol. I'll just bump for you. I loathe studio work.
Peace.Love.Pink
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:17 AM
I don't know anything about that bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:18 AM
Skill and talent firstly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:19 AM
Lol you are dripping of sarcasim.

Quoting Anonymous: Sounds like a great investment! There is definitely a great demand for more SAHM turned amateur photographers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:22 AM
I'm not a professional photographer, but do know a few. Only advice I know is to make sure you have more than one dslr camera. You will need one for backup just in case your main one breaks or something. You always need to be prepared. And several high quality high speed memory cards. I do a little amateur photography and was just asked to do my first wedding. I'm excited but nervous at the same time. I'm not charging them anything and they know I'm not professional. So maybe it goes well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:35 AM
Yes, I have a DSLR and I know how to operate it. I also have always had an eye for photography. I've always wanted to do this and I'm getting a chance.

I've also always been broke and never had the equipment to play with so I want stuff that I can use for years to come.

I already have people that have me take their family photos. I do it for free because it's fun. I've been asked many times why not do it professionally, it's always been money. Now I have someone who will invest and they came to me with the offer. I still feel just floored that they are doing it. I haven't even accepted the offer. I'm looking into it to see if it will work out or it should stay a hobby.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:38 AM
Do you shoot in manual though?

Quoting Anonymous: Yes, I have a DSLR and I know how to operate it. I also have always had an eye for photography. I've always wanted to do this and I'm getting a chance.

I've also always been broke and never had the equipment to play with so I want stuff that I can use for years to come.

I already have people that have me take their family photos. I do it for free because it's fun. I've been asked many times why not do it professionally, it's always been money. Now I have someone who will invest and they came to me with the offer. I still feel just floored that they are doing it. I haven't even accepted the offer. I'm looking into it to see if it will work out or it should stay a hobby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN