Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

HAND, FOOT, AND MOUTH DISEASE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
My neighbors almost 2 year old son contracted this virus somewhere. His little body, legs, butt, feet, arms, hands, head.....everything covered with a HORideas RASH....not so much of a rash but blisters (look like bumps, but puss filled) I'm hoping it just LOOKS a whole lot worse than it really is, for his sake....How extremely uncomfortable for him. Now she and I are great friends. Her oldest son 7 plays with my boys all the time, and usually she and I have coffee every morning, at my house.......Including this AM.

Now, she took him in this afternoon. The doctor told her she should not be worried as it would be difficult to contract. No antibiotics are available BC its a virus, and to "let nature take its course"

This worries me, as it seems my friend doesn't think its a big deal. I personally have never dealt with this in my family, and NEVER wish to. I've done my share of googling today, and now I am upside down.

Today Ive read its highly contagious through saliva, air we cough out, touching the spots, changing diapers, kissing, and sharing cups/utensils. Now, most of that no worries but (almost) 2 year olds cough, sneeze, and drool all over.

Is it as contagious as Google suggested or listen to the advice of her Dr, as its "highly unlikely we'll catch it from him."

Have your kids had it?
Do you know where your child picked it up?
Should we cutt our morning coffee out for now?

Any input would be great. As I said I'm very inexperienced with it.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lax5
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:43 PM
There is not much you can do now. Good luck mama!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Bump
ARACMOM
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:45 PM
It's a normal childhood illness. Most kids get it at some point.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM
I was worried of this also.

Like we've already got it, in the "incubation" phase...gross.

Can you tell I really don't want this?

Quoting Lax5: There is not much you can do now. Good luck mama!
Lax5
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:47 PM
He may not feel well enough to come over tomorrow. It's not a fun virus:(

Quoting Anonymous: I was worried of this also.

Like we've already got it, in the "incubation" phase...gross.

Can you tell I really don't want this?

Quoting Lax5: There is not much you can do now. Good luck mama!
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:48 PM
It is highly contagious, but from what I know, the virus can't live in the air for long. We're your kids touching her 2 year old? Also, are the blisters crusted over? It becomes a little less contagious at that point.

It's also rare for adults to get it. At this point, if your kids are going to get it, there's nothing you can do about it. Just watch them for fever, because that's how it starts.

My son was around a little girl with it a few months ago. He didn't get it.
momofamamasboy
by Andy on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:49 PM
My 2 yr old got it earlier this year. Before she showed any signs, she passed it to her cousin that weekend. It is is super contagious, at all points of the disease. I would stay clear for a while it was not fun for her and she was in pain.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:49 PM

It's contagious!  My kid missed almost 2 weeks of school she had it so bad.  Sitting, walking, standing just plain breathing hurt.  I literally had to carry her and she was 7 when she got it!  But only thing you can do is treat symptoms.  Our doctor seeing how bad she was gave her tylenol 3.

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:50 PM
I have no personal experience with it, but know it's something that just has to run it's course.

Good luck.
Smith1216
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Oh wow!  I think I remember someone's kids having this last year.. I can't really remember, though to give you any advice! Sorry

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN