Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

School Related--DD Is In Kindergarten

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
My dd started kindergarten this year. We sent her to preschool last year to help her be adjusted to a structured learning environment.
She's already had two years of speech therapy through the school system as a preschool student, and this has helped her a lot.
In April, we (her pre-k teacher and myself) noticed that her handwriting skills were just not there. I had her eyes tested and she is really bad farsighted. We got her glasses, and she wore them roughly the last six weeks of preschool. I worked with her over the summer, but she still isn't able to write her name or anything without the "dotted lines" to show her.
She was also evaluated for this through the regular school system, and they added occupational therapy IEP to her file and this fall they are adding OT to her speech therapy.
Last night we had our first PTSO meeting and her teacher mentioned that starting next Friday they will start having weekly written tests that will account as part of her grade.
The teacher and I discussed her IEP's which she was already aware of and are scheduled to start soon. I asked how this was going to affect my dd, since the school is already aware of her delay. There wasn't a straight answer other than we will have a meeting to discuss this within a few weeks.
It isn't that my daughter doesn't know the work, she just can't write it on paper.
I am lost on how to help her prepare. Because we have already been working with her handwriting and it's still a work in progress.

Anyone gone through anything similar? Advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rmfanfgljf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:22 PM
My youngest dd has crappy hand writing, it was bad to the point where you couldn't read the words because the letters are out of place, or in the wrong word. My oldest dd flips her letters and numbers.......both of my girls are behind in reading and I suspect my youngest dd is also dyslexic like her sister. I have no advice for you but here is a bump.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:24 PM
She should have a modification or accommodation. Is one in her iep?
chairhead28
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Can you not have required in her IEP that she is allowed and able to use dotted lines paper for the tests?

My son has an IEP and when he does any type of tests, he's removed from the classroom and put into a classroom with no more than four students and an aid. It helps him focus better and he's rewarded by finishing his test and staying focused. He's high-functioning autistic and has ADHD. He's not on medication (he's 7.5..it makes me really nervous to put him on meds, but we've been dealing with this since he was 2.5, so...), but we find things to help him succeed because he's extremely gifted; he's just got a hard time connecting outside of his "world".
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I hope they get it figured out soon.  My dd has had such bad delays that through 2nd grade she had a one on one person to write what her thoughts were since her printing skills just were not there.  I can not remember if she will get that help in the 3rd grade or not.  This summer we have practiced writing in a journal as well as a booklet that has pre written sentences she has to copy.

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Perhaps she can have the accommodation of a scribe for assessments. I have given such accommodations to students with handwriting difficulties. Someone else writes word for word what the student is verbally saying as answers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:33 PM
I haven't met with the school to discuss her IEP's for this year yet. She got approved so late in the school year for OT that it will start this fall. However, it's only 30 min one time a week. I'm not sure how much progress that will make.

Quoting Anonymous: She should have a modification or accommodation. Is one in her iep?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:40 PM
Was the school helpful getting the aid set up? Because unless she starts writing over the weekend....I'm not sure she will be ready.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I hope they get it figured out soon.  My dd has had such bad delays that through 2nd grade she had a one on one person to write what her thoughts were since her printing skills just were not there.  I can not remember if she will get that help in the 3rd grade or not.  This summer we have practiced writing in a journal as well as a booklet that has pre written sentences she has to copy.

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Yes very.  It also helped her 2nd grade teacher has been teaching for quite a while so she knew how to help her best and what to do at home for support.  Do you have a tablet that you could download an app that covered printing for her?  I can not believe they would not allow a kinder student to use lined paper as guidance especially during tests.

Quoting Anonymous: Was the school helpful getting the aid set up? Because unless she starts writing over the weekend....I'm not sure she will be ready.
Quoting frndlyfn:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:47 PM
I'm sure they will make a modification for her. If not, ask why.

We out source o ur ot so students only get about that much time as well. You are right, this alone is really not enough. Typically many ots make suggestions to teachers as to what to do in the classroom and the practice is very beneficial.

Quoting Anonymous: I haven't met with the school to discuss her IEP's for this year yet. She got approved so late in the school year for OT that it will start this fall. However, it's only 30 min one time a week. I'm not sure how much progress that will make.

Quoting Anonymous: She should have a modification or accommodation. Is one in her iep?
Bieg9093
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Mama...the trick here is not to focus on the grades.  Don't even THINK about the grades.  It sounds like you've got all the pieces in place to help her grow stronger in her weaker areas.  That's the only focus...growth.  Celebrate the progress and all the little successes.  Don't talk about the grades and totally downplay it if she brings it up with you. 

I certainly hope the teacher won't be sharing grades with the children, but who the hell knows what's going on in Kgtn anymore, eh? 

Learning and developing is not a race.  I've known kids who could hold and use a crayon properly at 18 months.  They were no more proficient at it in Kgtn than kids who only just developed the skill/strength/coordination at age 5.  That's because kids learn and grow AT THEIR OWN PACE.  People say it all the time because it's true. 

Grades in Kgtn is bullshit.  Every experienced early childhood educator knows it.  They just lack the political juice to prevent it.  Good news is that your child can "fail" every "test" and still progress to 1st grade.  I doubt they'd even try to retain a child receiving speech and ot if she's showing growth. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)