Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The fake baby class

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:03 AM
  • 14 Replies

My cousin is taking that class in high school this year where you take care of a fake baby that cries and you have to find out what is wrong. She is mainly taking it because they also teach CPR and first aid and she wants to get certified. They had the class when I was in high school, it was optional and I had a real baby, my son, to take care of in high school, so there wasn't a point for me. Does anyone have a child who did this project or did you do it in school? How close does the fake baby get to simulating an actual child's needs?

by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:05 AM
My school must have been too poor. We had bags of flour to carry around for extra credit
Kimicora
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:05 AM
I think my sister did but she's asleep right now so I can't ask, they should make those dolls act like a baby with colic it might deter pregnancy. And I think it should be a required course.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:05 AM
I did it. The baby cried but I slept through it mostly. My dad would wake me up to make it stop crying. All I had to do was put the key I had on my wrist in its back to make it stop.
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this
They had these babies whenI taught high school and I can tell you they the students were pulling their hair out. They cried and pooped and peed and had to be fed and kept kids up at night lol.
sweetfox3
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM

My daughter is homeschooled and will be until graduation, which will be when she is taking mostly college courses or gets her associates, whichever comes first.  As for baby care, well, I can arrange for her to have a baby to care for..getting up in the wee hours of the morning...except that I would have to go off my Adderall while pregnant, which would be a pain.  But, she was present when her little sister was born, and it was so fast I did not get drugs, so that might turn her off of the idea of having a baby.

Bwanna12Bree
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM

I took child development and I absolutely LOVED taking the baby.  I even asked (and got ) to take the baby for a second week because I wanted to. 

Its nothing at at like a real kid.   beside teaching kids that babies are annoying

ETA: Mine didn't poop or pee but you had to figure out what need it needed. You had a fake bottle and diaper and it had a motions senser. So you had to touch the bottle magnet or something to its lips or the diaper to its butt to figure out which(and the cries varied) it also sometimes needed to be rocked. and it had to be burpped and it had the whole neck/head drop sensor

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:11 AM

They don't make it a required course here because they don't have the funding to buy that many babies, they only have about a dozen. They do make ones that need special care, like colic, they also have babies who are addicted to drugs and with start shaking and screaming, to deter kids from doing drugs while pregnant.

Quoting Kimicora: I think my sister did but she's asleep right now so I can't ask, they should make those dolls act like a baby with colic it might deter pregnancy. And I think it should be a required course.

Peace.Love.Pink
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:11 AM

We did eggs back when I was in H.S. 

C8linVilla
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:12 AM

i had it and it does not do the same obviously....

Many ppl in school decided to *breastfeed* because you get a clip to put on your shirt. most clipped it to the babies hat

If the babies head drops back it screams and its head goes FAR back but i have 4 kids and have never dropped their heads back. that babies head goes back fast. 

the thing about the fake baby for me was that all the cries were the same. and twice i dropped its head and 2 other times it would cry and i could not figure out what was wrong. nothing worked but the cries never changed. 

it did not deter me from having kids at all. i am 25 and have 4 kids ages 6,3,2,1 that baby was annoying as hell but was not like a real baby at all

mine i had a key you have to put the key into the babies back THEN figure out why its crying. either food, diaper, burp, rock, its head fell back and i think cold/hot. But it was easy because like i said for food just pin the thing to the babies hat, diaper was just velco so you do not change the babies diaper just undo the velcro on the back and place the velcro of a new diaper in its place(leaving the old diaper on, once it cries again remove the diaper and put the velcro of the diaper still on baby back on. as far as burping i just put baby on the dryer and turned it on. same with rocking i used a swing since my mom had newborns at the time. 

our.love.story
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:12 AM
That's all ours did, too. We got graded on how long it took for us to attend to baby.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2: I did it. The baby cried but I slept through it mostly. My dad would wake me up to make it stop crying. All I had to do was put the key I had on my wrist in its back to make it stop.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN