Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think mainstreaming or inclusion of special ed students is a failure

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 550 Replies
26 moms liked this

I disagree with it and think it hurts everyone, the teacher, the special ed students and the general classroom students.I have a friend that just attended kindergarten orientation for her autistic son. She's livid because the teacher appeared annoyed that he cried through the whole thing, wouldn't sit and listen to the story, basically didn't participate in the orientation. She feels his teacher should know how to handle him and meet his needs. I disagree the teacher doesn't have a degree in special education, she isn't trained in how autistic children behave and learn. He would probably be better served by a special education teacher. I was surprised they placed him in a general ed class because his sn are significant.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM
46 moms liked this
I agree. Frankly I think there should be separate schools for both gifted and remedial or high needs. That way EVERYONE gets an education suitable to them.

Eta: for those of of you opposed to my thoughts, can you answer a (genuine) question?

Why are there schools for the deaf and blind, that parents fight to get their children INTO? I know from personal experience that those schools have specially trained staff, specialized equipment, even special activities, therapies and classes. (I.e. braille for the blind)

Why do you believe that a school for special needs is bad? Wouldn't on site therapy, specially trained staff, modified activities and classrooms be a good thing? If your child was gifted and not SN would you fight to get them into a special school designed for upper level academics?

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I'm with you for the most part. 

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:41 AM
25 moms liked this

I think it really depends on each child that is being mainstreamed. My boys have been in class with some that do fine and others that totally disrupt the class.I believe these children should be screened and made sure they can handle a classroom setting. The child you described should not be mainstreamed in my opinion. Him being in the class will cause many problems for everyone else. I think he would benefit from a different setting.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I agree. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:42 AM
5 moms liked this
I have a sn child. She is in inclusion classes and doing great. Kinder is when they determine where to put the child. It will take some time but she needs to advocate for her child. Does he have to start kinder? Can she wait a year? Waiting for my child really helped tremendously.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:42 AM
7 moms liked this

I agree but only to a certain extent.

If a child is unable to sit still and can not listen and keep from disrupting a class then inclusion is not right for them.

heckno
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:43 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it depends on the child, but when it comes to ds, I agree. He may be able to be mainstreamed in a few years, but right now it wouldn't benefit anyone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM
I agree, for the most part. I have an autistic son and had to fight tooth and nail to get him into a special needs school.
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM
7 moms liked this
My sn got main streamed and the effect it had on him was amazing. Why should he not get challenged and stay on a slower class?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this

We have no mainstreamed kids at our school thankfully. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN