Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My six year old said something very troubling...HELP

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 70 Replies

Background (Skip to the next paragraph if too long for you) He's always been a very intense, serious boy. Even as an infant, it was difficult to get him to smile or coo or laugh. Extremely perceptive. As he got older, I noticed something was definitely different about him. He wasn't like the other little boys, the other toddlers his age. He spoke very late, and when he did, it was in complete sentences. At age three, he started talking about concepts that...I thought...were far beyond the grasp of other three year olds. For example, math and chemistry and he understood patterns with such ease. He started reading early, mathematics early...he was already adding and subtracting double digits before going into Kindergarten. 
Before that, other things made him different. He didn't connect facial expressions with emotions and didn't grasp social cues on point. He has ADHD and Sensory Processing Disorder, and with behavioral therapists working with us and his pediatrician, he's only a little behind socially.
Academically, on the other hand...he's head and shoulders above. He's sensitive, gentle, compassionate... And still so intense.

HERE'S WHERE YOU SKIP TO: NOW, to what he said and WHY it's troubling. He has a fear of the dark, a HUGE fear of the dark. I've been trying to help him through it, walk him through what causes his fear. He understands that there isn't anything in his room that's scary. He knows that it's shadows he's afraid of and will tell me it's the shadows that scare him. They move in a way he doesn't like. I thought that we could do what I used to as a kid with the same fear (mine was more outlandish..monsters under the bed, etc.). I told him to take a few deep breaths, blow out the fear and calm down. Then close his eyes. Imagine that he is a superhero.

...He said he couldn't imagine because it wasn't real. He goes on to tell me he can't make pictures in his head. It's silly to pretend things that aren't real and after asking, he said he's never been able to imagine.
It made him upset to watch an episode of Adventure Time when Jake's imagination machine was turned off... because he thought his imagination machine was turned off.

Has anyone else heard this? I feel like this is really odd...very diferent... My youngest plays pretend all the time. He can make up stories and be silly. My oldest? I can't remember him lying. Ever. If he did something against the rules, he'll flat out tell you. No deception. He might rationalize it, he might explain it in a round about way and it may not be the WHOLE truth... but he doesn't lie. He doesn't say things that aren't truthful.

I'm just troubled over this. Am I freaking out over nothing? 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Just bumping to keep it from being lost in the activity. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:58 PM
3 moms liked this
Sounds like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Ignore the bumps.. Just trying to keep it visible is all!

newmom10142011
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:58 PM

i may be wrong but was he ever tested for aspergers?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:59 PM
I'd say, yes, you're freaking out over nothing. Just try to maybe describe using your imagination as being the same as telling a story/making a story in your head.
How old is he?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Has he been tested for autism?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:59 PM

That's so funny! My friends affectionately call him Sheldon. lol I haven't seen Big Bang Theory, but they say he's like Sheldon but with (somewhat) more social skills. 

Quoting Anonymous: Sounds like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory

lexiloo714
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:59 PM
I'd be a little concerned too, especially taking into consideration all you said in the first paragraph
DameDeLaMer
by (that girl) on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this
That does sound odd. I don't know if I'd be worried.

Maybe disappointed that he won't experience some of the imaginative parts of childhood/life.
mcrowley22
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never heard of this but maybe you should think about talking to a psychiatrist (sp?). He seems far more mature then his fellow peers. Maybe there is something that can be done. Show him how to play pretend or use his imagination. If anything here is a bump. I hope you figure it out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN