Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think my dog is special needs

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
And I don't mean to offend anyone with a special needs child.

My dog sleeps eats and goes to the bathroom. I try to play ball with her and she won't play, the kids try to play with her and she just lays there. I try to teach her tricks and she's just not interested.

She's very scared of everything and everyone. She growls and barks and runs away if she sees people she's not use to. She would probably bite them if they tried to pet her.

When she gets scared she pees right where she is at.

The only time I see any spark in her eye is when I take her to my brothers (which is often) , is when she is running all over the yard with his dog. She has so much fun. She won't run around my yard.

She's very unsure of everything. She's unsure if its ok to come in a room. She's unsure if its ok to go outside when I hold the door open. She's unsure to come inside. She's unsure to come to you when you call her. She is great at being off the leash. Stays right with me because she's unsure if we should be going anywhere. But she loves car rides.

I feel so bad for her. I take her anywhere I possibly can so she doesn't have to be alone in the kennel. I treat her like a fragile baby because I'm afraid something is mentally wrong with her.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:58 PM
And she is 9 months old. I got her at 8 weeks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Animals can have depression and anxiety just like us.
TheLadyAmalthea
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM

It sounds like depression and anxiety issues. You should talk to a vet. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Well I think my dog is an ass hole because he just bit me and drew blood. He is 14 weeks.

Dogs can have anxiety and stress and that is what it sounds like with a bit of depression . Take the dog to the vet
JanineDeer
by Janine on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:01 PM

YES yes yes dogs can have mental issues.  FAR too many dogs are inbred today.  From even "professional" breeders! yes, AKC show ring breeders are offenders too.   Breeding dogs for a certain "look" and nothing else. No brains? so what? They look this certain way!   And so we have mental issues and physical issues.

I agree with you, she is special needs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:02 PM
I have not done anything to hurt her to cause depression or anxiety.

Is it really possible for a dog to have a chemical imbalance like humans?

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

It sounds like depression and anxiety issues. You should talk to a vet. 

Homealonex2
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Sounds like she needs a play mate to build her confidence! You might try a Thundershirt you can get the a pet suppy stores. My dog is like this when she had a play mate it does help.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Sounds like she went though something traumatizing as a little pup. Poor doggy.

catcameback
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Stop treating her like a fragile baby.

It likely makes her think there is something wrong and confuses her.  Treat a dog like a dog if you want it to act like a dog.

Otherwise, you have an insecure animal who doesn't feel safe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:05 PM

I have no clue but one thing I noticed was you said she loves running with the other dog so what about getting another dog and seeing if that helps some of her problems?  Idk if that would work bc I have no experience with this but it's a thought.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN