Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Another eviction post

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
OK so I have a question...my mother rents a house but it is not legit.Its from a woman she knows though the grapevine.The reason my mother wanted this house is because it was huge and a very good neighborhood.Anyway the woman just let's my mother live there.The electric bills is in the woman's name but my mom pays it.Theres no lease no nothing.Only billion my mom has is cable bill.Anyway all I know is the lady upped the rent 500$ and just notified my mom today.And is expected to pay rent plus another 500$ or the woman said she would find someone else to rent it by then if my mom can't do it.Fuck that, you don't give someone a couple weeks notice.I told mom to save her money and find something else asap. Does this woman have to evict her even though there's no lease or anything.My mother has resided there since winter.I think the woman is shady to begin with I knew it wasn't a good idea but I hoped for it to work out for my mom's sake.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
complextrina
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Bump.
Jade_Lynn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:12 PM
The women will have a hard time getting her out with no lease of any kind.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Really? I kind of thought it would be easy since there was no lease, I thought the lady could just go there and tell her to get out right then and there

Quoting Jade_Lynn: The women will have a hard time getting her out with no lease of any kind.
PPCLC
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:14 PM

If there's nothing signed--no lease or written contract between them--this woman can basically do what she's doing now.

On the other hand, since there isn't a written lease between them, your Mom can move out within a matter of days without written or verbal notice.

I would have your Mom check with her local landlord/tenant laws to make sure, however.

PPCLC
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Again have your Mom check her local laws but I believe that since there isn't any type of written agreement between them, if this woman wanted to really flex her landlord muscle, she can say your Mom is squatting.

Quoting Anonymous: Really? I kind of thought it would be easy since there was no lease, I thought the lady could just go there and tell her to get out right then and there
Quoting Jade_Lynn: The women will have a hard time getting her out with no lease of any kind.

nayeli.c
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Your mom has established residency. Her landlord has to evict her or give her 30 days notice to vacate. 

Your mom has been getting mail at the residence correct?

If the lady changes the locks or does anything to "constructively evict" like turning off the power etc then your mom can sue her for a lot of money and its illegal so the city I think attorney general will also get involved.

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:16 PM
With no lease, she's no better than a squatter.

She needs to move or get it in writing.
-JC-
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:16 PM
She cannot kick her out!!! It is a verbal and assumed contract. She must evict. HOWEVER she can up the rent like that without notice. And can evict or give notice to move if your mom does not pay. The time allowed depends on state. PA is 30 but I can guarantee that elsewhere.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:17 PM
I'm going to call myself on Monday and find out because I refuse to let anyone fuck with my mom, and honestly that house isn't worth the 1200 my mom pays and now she wants and extra 500...sounds fishy to me

Quoting PPCLC:

Again have your Mom check her local laws but I believe that since there isn't any type of written agreement between them, if this woman wanted to really flex her landlord muscle, she can say your Mom is squatting.

Quoting Anonymous: Really? I kind of thought it would be easy since there was no lease, I thought the lady could just go there and tell her to get out right then and there

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:18 PM
Yes she has to file a legal eviction. Look up tenant rights in her state. Most likely the woman will shut off the utilities to try to force your mom out which is also illegal (at least in Ca and Nv) and your mom can sue her for damages.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN