Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Police: Teacher arrives at school drunk, keeps drinking

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:21 PM
  • 16 Replies

Kathleen Jardine photoKathleen Jardine photo

By Cox Media Group National Content Desk

It didn’t take long for the students in one Arizona high school math class to realize things weren’t adding up.

When their teacher began yelling and cursing at them, students alerted security.

Reuters reports that 57-year-old Kathleen Jardine, a math teacher at Poston Butte High School in San Tan Valley, arrived to school under the influence of alcohol. Jardine admitted to authorities that she had been drinking the night before class, as well as the morning of class and during the school day.

Jardine took a cab to school because she felt she was too intoxicated to drive. Her car had been impounded the night before, when she was cited for driving under the influence.

A school security guard found a half-empty bottle of vodka, a bottle of Sunny D citrus beverage and an empty single-serving bottle of wine in her classroom.

Jardine’s blood alcohol level was .205, according to police. In Arizona .08 is the legal limit for driving purposes.

Of course, teachers are held to an even higher standard.

Police charged Jardine with one count of public consumption of alcohol. She could also face disorderly conduct charges. The school has not released information yet on how Jardine will be disciplined.

The teacher faced a similar charge in New Mexico, where she was reportedly fired in 2011 for being drunk in the classroom.

It’s already proving to be a rough start to the school year for teachers. An Oklahoma teacher was found intoxicated and without pants in an empty classroom earlier this month.

by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I find the drunk teacher stories hilarious. I will probably get bashed for it but i laugh when I read one.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:07 AM

my 8th grade history teacher kept a bottle of something in his desk drawer.  it was just a rumor until the Challenger crashed, and while we were watching it on the tv he pulled it right out.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Between the students and parents and political bullshit with the administration I'd have to be a little toasted.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Teaching is so stressful!
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:09 AM
I was in 9th when it happened. I don't blame your teacher for pulling it out that day.

Quoting Anonymous:

my 8th grade history teacher kept a bottle of something in his desk drawer.  it was just a rumor until the Challenger crashed, and while we were watching it on the tv he pulled it right out.

hobobaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:14 AM
I think I know that woman!!! 😳😳😳😳😳
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:14 AM
I had a teacher who would drink in school.. all the staff and students knew. But until the day she accused me of throwing a pen at her head no one said anything about it. She was trying to have me thrown out of school even though there was a classroom full of students backing up that I tossed the pen on the desk no where near her head. Finally me and another girl asked who they were going to believe a classroom of sober students or the school drunk.

Needless to say she went missing from our school for a few months and when she came back she didn't carry her favorite cup anymore
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I don't either.  it's the same solution I had when the towers were hit.  after fielding calls from opportunistic assholes all morning, I'd hit my limit.  I didn't even go back to work that day.

Quoting Lunarprancer: I was in 9th when it happened. I don't blame your teacher for pulling it out that day.
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Yes it is! I can definitely see the temptation

Quoting Anonymous: Teaching is so stressful!
craazycuckoo
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

She looks way older than 57.

That's what alcohol consumption does to you I guess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)