Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Urgh cat people help?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

I have several cats, but i recently adopted 1 cat from my sister because she was moving into a house where she couldn't have pets.. and my mother almost had a stroke when she mentioned putting said cat in shelter. My mother has literally had a ton of strokes 3 major and 5 minor, We do not, put her under any emotional stress we can avoid, So i took the cat for her peace of mind because she just loves animals a little too much.

Well this particular cat, is difficult, its a smaller fluffy girl cat, I've had cats adjust to my home better than this cat has, I adopted this cat 2 weeks ago as of today, she has not adjusted at all, has lost a ton of weight, no ones abusing her or harassing her, i don't have kids that are bugging her, my oldest is too young to even catch a cat(7 months old). We set food and water out in weird places for her, she has access to all the liter boxes, none of my cats are fighting with her, even when you check the security camera's she's just laying down with them, they don't care at all. So its not a cat adjusting to other cats issue, its a cat adjusting to new humans issue.

Is there anything i can do? i have her in a carrier cage right now so she can't go hide in, anymore weird places while i try to figure out how to make her comfy. She was hiding under my deep freeze for a week! I thought she was dead or got out or something! even with security camera's it looked like she had gotten outside somehow when a room mate left.

No one in my house screams, my house is never overly loud. they have food and water constantly, their liter boxes are changed at least twice a day.

I have no idea what else to do.

Oh and my mom didn't take the cat because she's already  at the city limits for pets. Can't have anymore.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM

bump

katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM
I adopted a Maine coon that hid behind my stove for almost a full month. She eventually came out and adjusted to the new environment. If she's not eating or drinking you may want to get her into the vet to be checked out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Right now we're under the belief she's just too scared to eat or drink, I plan on going to the store when Dh gets home and getting a few cans of wet cat food to see if she'll eat that. She's also adjusting to a new food, they fed meow mix we feed a higher grade food because we don't believe in feeding our cats low grade food because it can cause health issues.

Quoting katyusha42: I adopted a Maine coon that hid behind my stove for almost a full month. She eventually came out and adjusted to the new environment. If she's not eating or drinking you may want to get her into the vet to be checked out.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Sounds like she is homesick.

katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Maybe try giving her the meow mix and slowly add in the food you use to it over time. It may just be to much change at once and it has her in freak out mode. New home, new food, new cats that's a lot to take in for a cat.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right now we're under the belief she's just too scared to eat or drink, I plan on going to the store when Dh gets home and getting a few cans of wet cat food to see if she'll eat that. She's also adjusting to a new food, they fed meow mix we feed a higher grade food because we don't believe in feeding our cats low grade food because it can cause health issues.

Quoting katyusha42: I adopted a Maine coon that hid behind my stove for almost a full month. She eventually came out and adjusted to the new environment. If she's not eating or drinking you may want to get her into the vet to be checked out.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:19 PM

What do you feed?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:21 PM

We also took in her sibling, he's a boy, but he's adjusting better than her. she knows he's here too.

i'll definetly think about mixing them hopeing wet food does the trick though, i don't think my nose can take the meow mix cat poop smell, 2 of our cats get the worst smelling poop when they eat it. and we'd have to mix it with the bigger thing of food.

Quoting katyusha42: Maybe try giving her the meow mix and slowly add in the food you use to it over time. It may just be to much change at once and it has her in freak out mode. New home, new food, new cats that's a lot to take in for a cat.
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Purina one Natural, Its different, we don't feed much higher quality it cots around $22 for a big 16lb bag, but we don't feed meow mix, mainly because its much worse, and because it makes our other cats poop smell even worse no matter what quality liter you use , you won't be able to walk into this house after a cat poops, if your feeding meow mix.

Quoting ColleenF30:

What do you feed?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Probably a possbility but we took in her sibling too, you'd think that would help. But it hasn't he's adjusted more than she has.

Quoting ColleenF30:

Sounds like she is homesick.

TotallyTweedles
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Best advice I can give is to start her out very small. Give her only one room to be in if possible for a while. Let her get acclimated to the sounds/smells of the house. Make sure someone visits with her or is just in the space with her so she doesn't feel abandoned of course. When you notice she is eating, drinking, pottying regularly and is no longer hiding out so much you can give more freedom by leaving a door open. That puts her adjustment to her and isnt forced. Too much too soon can really hinder a nervous cat from bonding and adjusting properly.
Chances are good she will not let herself starve so don't worry too much. As for the food, I under your stance but for a little while feed her what she knows. Mix a bit of the good stuff in each day in increments until it is all good stuff.
Like people some cats can just move right in with no concerns at all while others need space. My family ran a cat rescue for a great portion of my teen years so experienced some really challenging critters. Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)