Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Questions for those with gifted children

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies

How old or what grade was your child in when they were identified as gifted? Did the school test them and if so was it your idea or the schools? If they were placed in gifted classes , did it help them? I'd love to hear from moms' with gifted children or those who work with them.

I'm very reluctant to push the issue with my son's school. His kindergarden teacher believed he was very gifted, she said one of the brightest students she had taught. Then nothing else was said to me, other than he is very intelligent, not working up to his potential. In first grade the teacher made no mention of giftedness. So neither did I. In second grade the teacher twice mentioned that if he were more motivated and focused he would have the opportunity for enrichment activities. That's what his school calls it. They have a gifted teacher who pulls students out to work with them. I asked for advice on motivating him and that was the end of that. He doesn't enjoy school and frequently complains of being bored.I don't want to be that PITA annoying parent that thinks her little sunshine is so smart or whatever. I am starting to wonder if I should bring the issue up and request testing? If he's not gifted, I am fine with that. I'm not hung up on the idea. I just don't want him wasting away at school being unchallenged. I have to go but will be back to the post later tonight.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Bump

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:31 PM

All the students in their school are tested at the beginning of every year. 

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:33 PM
Not in all states. In GA you have to be referred to be tested.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

SuckIt69
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I tested mine myself and they're all geniuses as far as I'm concerned. :)
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I meant all the students in my children's school are tested. It obviously was too vague. 

(I'm sleepy)

Quoting Andrewsmom70: Not in all states. In GA you have to be referred to be tested.
Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

JoanahLee
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:36 PM

The gifted program and the "need help with reading and math" groups (don't remember the official name of the other program) met at the same time once a week or something.  From 2nd grade to 6th grade once a week every single white child except the kids in special ed went to GT for 2 hours and nearly every black child went to the low reader program.  There were two or three black girls that also went to GT, but that was it.  And it was like that for YEARS.  

Maybe its different now or different at other schools, but that experience left a bad taste in my mouth, so im not to keen on my kids being placed in GT. 

As far as it helping or not, it was fun, but it was not harder work... there was no reason we could not do the games and field trips we did with GT in our regular classes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:36 PM

and what ever you do, do NOT let them tell him all the effing time how smart and gifted he is... it made my son quite lazy about doing his work just because he tested well.  

I finally had to have a full on conference with ALL of his teachers to get them to just stop already.  He knows he is smart, he is in the advanced program.. just STOP ALREADY... 

foltzy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Both in Kindergarten. Both by the school. DD was referred by her teacher. DS because they tested DD and they always test siblings. Both are gifted.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:38 PM

With all the teacher comments, YES request testing. My daughter was tested in the 3rd grade - it was routine in our school system .

Spam72
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:39 PM
2nd grade but I don't think gifted programs make a huge difference. Funding is usually limited to at most an hour a day of pull out time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN