Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WWYD? Job transfer/moving questions.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

WWYD? I need feedback, I feel like this decision is being put on my shoulders and I would love to know what you ladies would do in this situation.

My so has worked really hard, he wants to eventually be a general foreman so he can stop doing physical work (as much as he loves it) and eventually open his own utility company (he's a lineman).
Two weeks ago he finally took an offer with a new company. He got a raise/promotion and we plan on moving over to where he would be nomore than 1.5 hours from home and could be home every night. We would have a bigger home, and while further from family/friends we would be more comfortable.

Today was his first day with the new company. He's literally been at work for 2 hours and just called me with what they proposed him. They want him to work 5 hours south of where we're moving to. He would stay on his weekly schedule where he's home on the weekends, possibly could be home thursday/friday evening until sunday nights compared to the home nightly we had originally planned on. He would get a $6 raise (on top of the raise he got when he started with this company) and within a year will be in a truck as a foreman.

He's worked SO hard to get this far in 5 years, and I'm honestly extremely impressed with the ethic he's put into place making him so wanted by these companies. I told him I would have his back 100% no matter what he decided, and to chase his dream. We're used to him being gone all week and the girls know it's only temporary for the next couple of years. I would love to have him home every night, but I don't want to hinder him in any way. Sorry this is so long, wwyd? I'm going to talk to the girls after school and see what they have to say. The company wants an answer by tonight/tomorrow am at the latest. *le sigh*

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:51 AM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:52 AM

You pretty much answered your own question in the post. Support him no matter what he decides to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:53 AM
I really don't see any negatives in his taking the job and accomplishing his dream.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM

I think he wants me to tell him to take the job that way he doesn't feel bad about making that decision knowing he won't be home during the week instead of me just telling him I will support him.  

Quoting Anonymous:

You pretty much answered your own question in the post. Support him no matter what he decides to do.

mom2devin11005
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM

I personally would tell him to go for it..... sounds like a great opportunity

j3st3r
by Jedi on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:56 AM

I would tell him to take the opportunity.  It might not be offered to him next time.

elizabooks
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:56 AM
Don't bother with moving, hide money for a move later on and support him in his new position.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:56 AM
For us that would be a deal breaker. DH turned down a promotion because he wouldn't be home every night.

That is us though. It seems to work for your family and you already said you would support him.
Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I would move to where the job would be. No way could I be away from my husband that long. He wouldn't want to be away either. If that wasn't possible, he wouldn't take the job. Being together is more important.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Regardless of where he'll be, we're still moving.  House is on the market and may be sold in the next 2 months.  He wouldn't be 5 hours away forever, and once he's foreman he'll be home every night.  Then another year of that and he'll be gf.  One year of that and we can move to our dream destination.

Quoting elizabooks: Don't bother with moving, hide money for a move later on and support him in his new position.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)