Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We Don't Do YOUR Kind of Hair

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:59 AM
  • 114 Replies

I received a call last night by a friend who was HOT.  Apparently she had set up an appointment at a salon to have her daughter's hair colored and styled. She had to work so she had her DD dropped off. Her daughter sat at the salon for over an hour before they called her mom to tell her they can't do her DD's hair. They didn't even try. They simply said you need to pick up your DD and reschedule with a different stylist because we do not have anyone here to do her KIND of hair.

This irritates me for many reasons. 1- Don't these women have to be licensed and know how to work with all textures? They weren't asking for it to be braided 2- My daughter had her hair done at the SAME salon just the day before by a white woman and she did a great job 3- If you do not feel confident in working with that hair texture why let the girl sit there for over an hour? Why make the appointment at all? My friend told them over the phone her daughter was mixed and asked if it would be a problem.

** I agree that it was better for them to be honest about being confident with her hair texture. I do not agree with how they handled it.

*** I also want to state that we live in a diverse city and that this salon was at our mall and the employees are diverse. I understand there are areas where there would be no need for a person to learn how to work with textured hair.

** Also the style the mom was requesting was a simple flat iron. No braids, twists, or locs

by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Maybe the woman that did your dd'shair wasn't there that day.  I think the hour wait was ridiculous but I would think not doing her hair would have been better than doing it and screwing it up because the stylist didn't know what she was doing with that texture.  Not all stylists are trained in ever hair type.

Crashly
by Ashley on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Just because some one is licensed and trained does not mean they would've been able to do a quality job on her hair. They definitely could've delivered that message in a better way though.

Honestly, they probably did her daughter a favor. Instead of messing her hair up, they had her reschedule so someone could do it the right way.
luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
In many cases while in school students don't get a lot of diversity. If you live in a diverse area there's more opportunity, but most clients of a school are elderly.

If that's the case they should take further training elsewhere, but it's not required. At least they were honest instead if trying and screwing it up.
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:05 AM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe the woman that did your dd'shair wasn't there that day.  I think the hour wait was ridiculous but I would think not doing her hair would have been better than doing it and screwing it up because the stylist didn't know what she was doing with that texture.  Not all stylists are trained in ever hair type.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM
4 moms liked this
I would rather they be honest up front than ruin her hair. And who drops a child off at a salon??? That's irresponsible.
sunsetchick34
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Whew that is so rude but on the plus side I respect they knew they could not do her hair. They coulda tried n fucked it up.
Sydel
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I can understand that if they aren't confident and want to reschedule with someone else. But telling the mom it's not a problem and then letting the little girl sit is unprofessional. AND no they didn't do my daughter a favor.  They did the job they were trained and paid to do. It was just a wash and flat iron.

Quoting Crashly: Just because some one is licensed and trained does not mean they would've been able to do a quality job on her hair. They definitely could've delivered that message in a better way though. Honestly, they probably did her daughter a favor. Instead of messing her hair up, they had her reschedule so someone could do it the right way.

Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I think the wait was crazy. There was no reason to wait that long until they called the mom. However saying they couldn't do her hair isn't that big of a issue. Some stylists are not trained on all hair types. Its better if they have someone who knows what they are doing be the one to do her hair.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM
My girls are mixed. I have had a stylist tell me in the past that she didn't feel comfortable working with their hair type. I was perfectly fine with that. However I would be upset if they waited an hour to tell me and were rude.
mom2be2013397
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM
My mom did it all the time it gave me and my sister time to ourselves and made us feel responsible

Quoting Anonymous: I would rather they be honest up front than ruin her hair. And who drops a child off at a salon??? That's irresponsible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)