Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 14 year old went to a friends house to get drunk....is this a good punishment? ETA: No it isnt illegal

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 217 Replies
Long story short my DS went to his friends house and got drunk. This is a place he has been going for years and I have always trusted the parents. They said that they did know they were drinking but didnt "see the big deal"

Well I see it as a big deal. I am all about responsible drinking but getting drunk at a friends house, walking home, and being so hungover you cant move the next day at 14 is NOT responsible.

Well I already let him and the friends parents know that he would no longer be over there. They did apologize but I still feel it isnt okay.

As for punishment for him I am grounding him for at least 3 months. I am requiring him to write at least a 10,000 word about alcohol (to include stuff about responsible drinking, BAC, standard drinks, how much alcohol is safe to drink, alcohol poisoning.) My mom thinks I am being too strict and I should just ground him but I think him knowing more about alcohol would be a good thing.

ETA: I cant call the cops on the parents. They were not the ones that provided the alcohol.

ETA2: Let me say this again...I can NOT call the cops on the parents. They didnt provide it and so it is NOT illegal. I cant just call the cops because I dont agree with what they did. My son and his friend got it from another friend. They both told me this and talked about in in text messages.

ETA3: for the idiots who are making assumptions or just misunderstanding....they knew about the drinking AFTER the fact. They didnt allow it. They just were not paying attention to what was going on. They werent supervising at all...yes that is irresponsible but again NOT illegal. Why call the cops for something that is NOT illegal? In my state it is legal for a minor to drink on private property WITHOUT parental permission.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I would report those parents to the cops!

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:13 PM
8 moms liked this

I think the research paper is a good idea but 10,000 words is over 20 pages. That's excessive for a 14 year old. 3,000 words would be much more reasonable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Well they werent the ones who provided the alcohol so there would be no point

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

HAHuskey
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:13 PM
This. And what you said.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd be pissed too!! You're not being too strict.
20Keller12
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:15 PM
I think it's good.
Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I think writing the report is a great idea. He will learn a lot. Just make sure he isn't copying and pasting it all.

I agree with Peanutsmommy1. I would report these people. I do NOT condone underage drinking and I would be PISSED if someone let my child drink without asking me first.

hismommy2010
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:16 PM
They should stillbe aware of what the kids are doinin their home

Quoting Anonymous: Well they werent the ones who provided the alcohol so there would be no point

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Well the parents arent the ones who gave it to them so there is nothing that can be done to them about it.

Quoting Seagodess:

I think writing the report is a great idea. He will learn a lot. Just make sure he isn't copying and pasting it all.

I agree with Peanutsmommy1. I would report these people. I do NOT condone underage drinking and I would be PISSED if someone let my child drink without asking me first.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this

then how did two minors get the alcohol and consume it under the parents roof?

I feel like there is something you are leaving out

Quoting Anonymous: Well they werent the ones who provided the alcohol so there would be no point
Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN