Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How much does it REALLY cost you to raise children?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:34 AM
  • 37 Replies

The annual report on the cost of raising a child​ is out and The Stir wants to see if it matches up to real moms' realities! We're looking for moms who are willing to disclose some financial info (about what you spend on various things for your kids, food, clothing, health care, activities, etc.) We would love to interview interested moms ASAP today. If you're interested, let us know how many kids you have, what ages they are, and we'll be in touch. Thanks in advance!

by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheDrsRose
by Bad♥Wolf on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I had my son in December so I doubt I'm any help. Bump!

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Clothes- $1000 per kid per year.

food- $500 per month

Healthcare- $5000 per year

prescriptions- $400 per month

Activities- $400 to sign up. $50 per month, plus extra fees.

School- $300 per kid.

5 kids ages 8-15

if interested please quote and I'll I'm you. 
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Well - my kids are grown. And yes, they cost a lot of money (still are, with 2 in college, one getting married in two days).

Living in big enough place to raise them, in an area with good schools - that alone increases your costs.

Medical - we've been fortunate.  For 18 years, my husbands employer paid ALL health insurance, with no deductibles and no copays.  The last year, we've increased to a $5000 deductible, coincidentally, the same year my husband broke his collarbone and my daughter needed an appendectomy.  Normally our medical costs are very low.

Clothes - well, having raised 4 teenagers, the costs get WAY higher once they reach around middle school.

Education, yeah, they went to public school.  Still, there are supplies, laptops (required for high school), ASB fees, dances, graduation stuff, and so on.

My 3 daughters danced competitively for years, so that was literally at least $1000 a month, not including costumes and travel.

Oh yeah - a bigger vehicle (although if you don't have as many kids that probably isn't an issue).

College - $40K a year per child average.  Including dorms.

Driving lessons - when my last one took them, the class was $650.  Then, of course, the increase in insurance.

Yeah - looking back, the cost of diapers and daycare was but a small portion of what it costs to raise a kid.

Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM

One child. Six years old.

Food- $1600 year. Based on 1/3 of the food budget.

Clothes- $300 year

Health care- Currently none. 

Activities- $200 year for sports. Other family activies, I have no clue.

Daycare- $5000 a year

poisonedtaco
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I have three kids: dd(almost)7, dd(almost)4, and ds2.

And I honestly don't think children are as expensive as most people say they are. I do believe that people make them more expensive than they should by buying things that are not necessary. I admit that I made that mistake with my first daughter. I also learned after having multiple kids that each child becomes a little less expensive than the previous, especially if you have kids of the same gender and if they are close in age.

But I would love to be interviewed! I am on the lower side as far as income goes but I am still able to take care of a family of 5 (me, my husband, and our three kids) on just my income alone, no assistance. I think I could give some very helpful insight to new mothers and mothers struggling financially to care for their kids. :)

jazzy411
by Jazmyne Lee on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM
I have 3 kids. Ds 2, dds 7 months. I make do with being a waitress. I would love to be interviewed.
conweis
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I have four children between the ages of 21 months and 10 years old
Food plus toiletries $600 a month= $7200 a year/ 1200 per child
Clothes for all four= $500 a year/ 125 per child
Entertainment and toys= $1000 a year/ 250 per child
School supplies and expenses = $500 a year/ 125 per child
Utilities and housing $700 a month= $8400 a year/ 1400 per child
Health insurance $56 a week= $2912 a year/ 485.34 per child
Dental insurance $6 a week=  $312 a year/ 52 per child
Vision Insurance $2.50 a week = $130 a year/ 21.67 per child
Totaling everyone in our family a year =$20,954/ $3,659.01 per child

I am sure the price will go up as the boys get older.
I would love to be interviewed.

lukesmom2002
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I have an 11 year old son. 

Clothing roughly 1200 a year a little more or less depending on how fast he is growing.

Food 3000 for his third of our food budget.  School lunches are not cheap.

Healthcare 1345 a year which is a third of what we spend each year on insurance through my husbands employer.  He is rarely sick and doesn't have any prescriptions.

Activities 1300 a year.  Tennis lessons are not cheap then there is soccer and basketball.

Private school tuition 3800 a year.

Christmas and birthdays 800

I am sure there are other costs

Just the stuff listed above we spend 11,445 a year on our son.  Not all of it is necessary but we can afford the tuition and other expenses so why not.  We also put away another 8-10k a year for college.   

conweis
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Clothes are cheap right now because I hand me down my kids clthes and buy what they really need and maybe one or two want items. Shoes make up a chunk of my budget cause boys are rough on shoes.

Quoting poisonedtaco:

I have three kids: dd(almost)7, dd(almost)4, and ds2.

And I honestly don't think children are as expensive as most people say they are. I do believe that people make them more expensive than they should by buying things that are not necessary. I admit that I made that mistake with my first daughter. I also learned after having multiple kids that each child becomes a little less expensive than the previous, especially if you have kids of the same gender and if they are close in age.

But I would love to be interviewed! I am on the lower side as far as income goes but I am still able to take care of a family of 5 (me, my husband, and our three kids) on just my income alone, no assistance. I think I could give some very helpful insight to new mothers and mothers struggling financially to care for their kids. :)

StarLight23
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I only have my one son who's about to turn nine but here's a bump!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN