Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Good Ole Walmart - Contributing to the Problem

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
3 moms liked this

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leading123
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM
3 moms liked this
Ok but these people can have a second job, right? Delivering pizzas? Delivering mail?

Etc?

When I was a kid my dad taught me the meaning of hard work.

In the morning he delivered mail. He would go home have lunch, and worked afternoons as a handyman helping fix things in people's homes. No formal training, either. Just advertised it himself and fixed things. Everyone said he did a great job. Around 7pm he would come home eat dinner and drive a cab from about 7:30 until around 2am.

We were never once on PA of any sort.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:50 AM
8 moms liked this

yes, because it's so easy for a single mother to have two jobs and take care of and actually SEE her child...smh

Quoting Leading123: Ok but these people can have a second job, right? Delivering pizzas? Delivering mail? Etc? When I was a kid my dad taught me the meaning of hard work. In the morning he delivered mail. He would go home have lunch, and worked afternoons as a handyman helping fix things in people's homes. No formal training, either. Just advertised it himself and fixed things. Everyone said he did a great job. Around 7pm he would come home eat dinner and drive a cab from about 7:30 until around 2am. We were never once on PA of any sort.

Leading123
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm
Not saying it's "easy" but I am saying it is doable.

Quoting Anonymous:

yes, because it's so easy for a single mother to have two jobs and take care of and actually SEE her child...smh

Quoting Leading123: Ok but these people can have a second job, right? Delivering pizzas? Delivering mail?

Etc?

In the morning he delivered mail. He would go home have lunch, and worked afternoons as a handyman helping fix things in people's homes. No formal training, either. Just advertised it himself and fixed things. Everyone said he did a great job. Around 7pm he would come home eat dinner and drive a cab from about 7:30 until around 2am.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:54 AM

The U.S. post office is contributing too. My mom works 40 + hours a week, has 2 kids, and qualifies. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this

if a single mother has no family or friends for support, it is NOT 'doable'....been there, done that...

Quoting Leading123: I'm Not saying it's "easy" but I am saying it is doable.
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Leading123: Ok but these people can have a second job, right? Delivering pizzas? Delivering mail? Etc? When I was a kid my dad taught me the meaning of hard work. In the morning he delivered mail. He would go home have lunch, and worked afternoons as a handyman helping fix things in people's homes. No formal training, either. Just advertised it himself and fixed things. Everyone said he did a great job. Around 7pm he would come home eat dinner and drive a cab from about 7:30 until around 2am. We were never once on PA of any sort.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Walmart has been accused of giving erratic schedules, making it hard to find steady work elsewhere because an employee doesn't know when they'll be working from one week to the next. WM benefits from their employees getting aid because, since they are the cheapest stores around, their employees will turn around and give the money back to them in shopping. 

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM
13 moms liked this

Jobs like Walmart and fast food were not designed for a single parent to support a family. Until recently, most such jobs were temporary and part time. I do think min. wage should rise with inflation, but I don't think someone working a job that doesn't even require a high school diploma should expect to live a middle class life.

Quoting Anonymous:

Leading123
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly that sounds very lazy. My sister is a single mom with very little support. She had her dd in daycare and a sitter a night and weekends and worked 3 jobs. It CAN be done.

Quoting Anonymous:

if a single mother has no family or friends for support, it is NOT 'doable'....been there, done that...

Quoting Leading123: I'm
Not saying it's "easy" but I am saying it is doable.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Leading123: Ok but these people can have a second job, right? Delivering pizzas? Delivering mail?

Etc?

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:03 PM
8 moms liked this

I am sure I will get people quoting to whine about how I do not know what i am talking about, but... No one is forced to work at WalMart. If you think you are worth more money, prove it. Go out and get that job that will pay you more. I do not like how walmart treats employees, so i do not work there (I also do not shop there, but for other reasons). 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:40 PM

true, but when a woman is fleeing a domestic violence situation, sometimes, there is no choice for jobs for some of those women. They have to start somewhere...i did, started from nothing, no friend, family or anything, eventually made friends via the homedaycare i used,  and worked my way thru culinary school by getting accepted into my co's JOBS program...therefore, securing my future on a paycheck we could survive on without anymore gov help.  Unf for some, gov help becomes a way of life and part of the problem.  Walmart would do justice by giving people a liveable wage. 

Quoting B1Bomber:

Jobs like Walmart and fast food were not designed for a single parent to support a family. Until recently, most such jobs were temporary and part time. I do think min. wage should rise with inflation, but I don't think someone working a job that doesn't even require a high school diploma should expect to live a middle class life.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)