Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

She doesn't talk to her parents cause the spent her college fund...WDYT?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 201 Replies
My dd is 25 and I met one of her good friends last night. After she left, the topic of her parents came up. My dd said she doesn't talk to them and I asked why.

When she was going into sophomore year her dad got into a DUI accident and hurt someone. They were sued and he went to jail. They used her college money which was almost all gifts from family to pay it off, and he couldn't replace it since he was in jail.

She hasn't spoken to them since. WDYT?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:33 PM
4 moms liked this
If it was gifts to here I can completely understand, but it would take a lot more for me to never speak with my parebts
sarastanley88
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I think that she is entitled to her feelings, and I would feel the same way
jsmommy1984
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM
8 moms liked this
I think the girl has a right to be pissed the hell off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I get why she would be angry but cutting off contact seems a little extreme. Even if the money was meant for her education, it still belonged to her parents and she wasn't entitled to it.
sarastanley88
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM
4 moms liked this
They stole from her. I'd look into suing.
catngabsmom
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't blame her!! Her father made a dumb ass mistake that he could have avoided by not getting behind the wheel and used her money to pay for it. I wouldn't talk to my parents either if they had done that!!!
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

While I would be disgusted that my dad got a DUI, I wouldn't not speak to them over the money. I wonder if it's the reason itself that has her angry? What if the parents had a medical problem that caused them to spend it, I wonder if she would feel the same way?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM
5 moms liked this
This is why I never give any large monetary gifts to minors. The parents think.It's theirs. Rude af

Quoting Anonymous: I get why she would be angry but cutting off contact seems a little extreme. Even if the money was meant for her education, it still belonged to her parents and she wasn't entitled to it.
angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

they stole from her so I can't really blame her especially if it was a lot of money. It's not the girl's fault her father was an irresponsible loser and got a dui and she shouldn't be expected to pay for it either. Was she able to go to school anyway?

catngabsmom
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM
16 moms liked this
Did you read the post?? The money was gifted to her, by family, for her college education, not as a "bail you drunk father out of a DUI" fund!!!

Quoting Anonymous: I get why she would be angry but cutting off contact seems a little extreme. Even if the money was meant for her education, it still belonged to her parents and she wasn't entitled to it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)