Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is that even legal? UPDATED

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

I was in a meeting this morning at work, and on break, the head of another division was asking us about the annual blood drive.  I said that I didn't know anything about it because I don't participate.  Well he goes off saying that if I can't participate in a company event then he would see to it that I wouldn't be working there any longer.

I am almost sure that he can't do that, at least not legally.  And I don;t live in a right to work state.

UPDATE!

Hr spoke with him and of course he denied that he said anything.  I mentioned that there were other people who heard him. After checking with everyone HR concluded that he did in fact break company policy.  His boss was notified that some sort of disciplinary  action will be taken.   Because it is a personnel matter I won't be told what it is.  And he is to apologize to me before the close of business today.   

I found out from my boss that his boss is looking to get rid of him, has been for awhile, and I'm in line to get his job.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:39 PM

bump

ladyvamp5489
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:41 PM
3 moms liked this

donating blood cannot be a requirement for work. Its a VOLUNTEER thing. Call your HR about it.

mrsmoonbeam
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:42 PM
THIS

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

donating blood cannot be a requirement for work. Its a VOLUNTEER thing. Call your HR about it.

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:42 PM

What a jerk. Its not legal

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:43 PM

No, it's not legal to fire you for not volunteering to give blood. Besides, how do they know you're even eligible to give blood? That's none of their business.

dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I can't imagine that being legal in any sense of that situation. I'm sure he meant that he will make your life so difficult that you'll resign from your position. 

Either way, you'd better get over to your HR department and figure out what the heck is going on and what could/could not happen. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

No, it's not legal to fire you for not volunteering to give blood. Besides, how do they know you're even eligible to give blood? That's none of their business.

I can't give blood. I take blood thinners. But that isn't his business to know.
mom2bahandcch
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:46 PM
A lot of people can't donate blood for one reason or another. If you couldn't, would you still be fired??

Anyway, I would be going to whoever is at your work to find out how he can do that. Im pretty sure you dont have to donate to keep your job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Quoting dbrown1989:

I can't imagine that being legal in any sense of that situation. I'm sure he meant that he will make your life so difficult that you'll resign from your position. 

Either way, you'd better get over to your HR department and figure out what the heck is going on and what could/could not happen. 

He is not the head of my division thankfully.  I already reported hi to HR, I'm not sure what will happen.

rachellaree20
by Rachel on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Yeah it can't be a work requirement at all legally.   I've never donated blood because I've never been able to and I've certainly never had a job threatened over it.  Contact HR about it definitely and explain the situation before things get worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN