Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you play on playground equipment WITH your kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies

My girlfriend and I took our 3, 4 and 5 year old to a park.  We sat on a bench and chatted while the kids played.  There were about a dozen other kids there of the same ages.  I noticed several other mothers actively playing ON the swings, slides and other equipment with their kids.  I think this is really fucked up.  I mean pushing your kids on the swing is one thing, but this is crazy to me.  

I like taking my kids to the park so they can socialize with other kids.  Not other mothers.  

I think it's weird that my kids have to wait in line to go down the slide so that someone's mother can go too.

I think hovering over your kid impeeds their social development and the whole cause/effect/physics lesson that playing in a park teaches.

I think it's important for a kid to learn to introduce themselves to new friends.  Not have someone's mother making the introduction for them.

/Rant

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zeenah
by Zarah on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd asks me to play with her. When she does I do. No one has ever had to wait behind me. 

BostonGirl0301
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I do not. I sometimes help DD on the zipline and if no one is in the park I will swing too. Otherwise she plays with the other kids.

brysonsmommy_10
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
If we are the only people there, sure. If there are other kids, I just let him play. I do stay within hearing and seeing distance in case he has a, "Mommy, look at me" moment.
Mom2Boys9501
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM
I used to when they were little and there were no other kids there.
stacey541
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Only if there aren't kids for them to play with. If they can make friends and meet new kids I would much rather have that.
BrooklynsMom11
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:55 PM
Sometimes. Dd is 3 and if she asks then I will. We usually go when it's super early so not many people are there. I don't see anything wrong with it.
kaybayblee3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:55 PM

If it's not too busy then yes I do. I don't get into the slides or block up the other stuff that other's would want to play on though.

TheFairest
by Zombie on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Bahahahahaha, I always play with my kiddos.
KristaP13
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Sometimes I will if they ask, or if there's no other kids at the park. If it's crowded and they ask I just tell them to wait until some of the other kids leave because there's no room for a grown up.
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Nope. I sit in a chair under a tree knitting or reading. My husband will play on the equipment if there aren't many other kids at the playground.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN