Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Edit. Anybody else accidentally name their child a popular name?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 473 Replies
2 moms liked this
I originally want to name my daughter Anabel.
Nobody liked it. My DF said it reminded him of a girl he knew. My mom said it reminded her of a cow and everyone would call her Ana which I don't like.
So we ended up going with Isabella. I like the name but now everyone is named Isabella. When I named her that in 2007, I didn't know one Isabella. There is always another Isabella in her grade and tons in after care.
My name is very common and I hated it. I also hated being with other girls with the same plain name.
I do like Isabella because it's not what I consider plain but I didn't want her to have a common name like me. I wanted to be a little bit different without totally being out there.
Now I just wish I could go back and name her after my grandmother which I didn't even think of when I had her. It didn't cross my mind because everyone called her nana or by her nickname. I love my nanas name and wish I could change it. It's not as common and Isabella and has meaning to it because my nana was my world.
I think it's a little late at 7 though.
I don't plan on having anymore kids so I'm kind of bummed lol

EDIT
Forgot to mention the reason why I didn't research was because I was planning on naming her Anabel and had little time to come up with another name, in the hospital. I don't think i had internet on my phone back then or any baby book names. I was never truly attached to Anabel but liked it. I was stumped. Then when Isabella came up I liked it, even better than Anabel. Myself and family had never known an Isabella so we all just thought it wasn't that common. Everyone loved Isabella and that's what happened.
I had also never heard of twilight until the movie in 2008 which really made it boom.
As I read the comments it makes sense that a lot of people didn't know the names they chose was popular at the time. You don't really know until a few years after it starts booming.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
locaporbebe
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep. Emma. She is 11. I had never met anyone named Emma before. Now rrrr it's everywhere.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah totally. Didn't it get popular when Rachel named her baby Emma on friends? Lol
I love that name though, very pretty

Quoting locaporbebe: Yep. Emma. She is 11. I had never met anyone named Emma before. Now rrrr it's everywhere.
kiddycat73
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:31 PM
I did...my older DD is named Hannah. I didn't know anyone at all with that name at that time...turns out that it was the #1 most popular name the year she was born (2000). It still isn't common in this area though, so it's not like there are 4 Hannah's in each of her classes lol.
greenlove2013
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:31 PM
I only know 2 people with the same name as my dd. No one as my son
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:32 PM
She is 7, time to get over it.

Also, no shit Isabella is everywhere. Twilight came out in 2005 and the name exploded.
jennar216
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Yep, Noah is the #1 name in America right now, apparently. It has rapidly gained popularity among our generation, because all the old folk think it's "such a unique name"!
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I have an Owen and Fiona. Not that common.
Peace.Love.Pink
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:32 PM

no

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Lol well that's good

Quoting kiddycat73: I did...my older DD is named Hannah. I didn't know anyone at all with that name at that time...turns out that it was the #1 most popular name the year she was born (2000). It still isn't common in this area though, so it's not like there are 4 Hannah's in each of her classes lol.
o.O....
by Cara on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:32 PM
My daughters name is becoming popular again :/
Claire.
I still love it though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN