Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Feeding the babysitter? ETA ETA2

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 264 Replies
1 mom liked this

My middle daughter is 16 and babysits a few nights a week for a family with two girls 8 and 10. She's there from 3-10pm on those nights.

Their mom makes a plate for the girls and puts it in the fridge before she leaves. But, I was surprised to learn that they were not feeding my daughter dinner and that she's been ordering pizza for herself with her own money. I told her to stop doing that because she was spending her babysitting money on food that they should be providing and she told me that's not how it works anymore. 

It that accurate?  Is it common not to feed the babysitter dinner?  Or not to tell them to help themselves to whatever is in the kitchen?  Are they responsible for bringing or buying their own food? 

I know when my kids were little and we had a sitter, I ALWAYS made sure there was food for them- if I had not shopped, I would leave money for them to order a pizza, even if my kids had dinner for themselves

ETA: She babysits so mom and dad can go to their bowling leagues and then drinks three nights a week.  This is not like a single working mom situation AT ALL.  She is paid $7.25 an hour. 

ETA 2: Last night we all decided would be the last time she babysat for this family.  They were supposed to home at 11, did not get home until 1 am and DD could tell they'd been drinking, so she called my husband in the middle of the night to come get her because she wasn't comfortable with them driving her. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:28 PM

BUMP!

ArmyWife112908
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:30 PM
4 moms liked this
For that period of time, yes I would feed the sitter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:31 PM
4 moms liked this
Well if I was babysitting, I would bring my own food. Like if I had a job, I'd pack my lunch. I wouldn't expect my boss to provide my lunch.
Mandymb
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:31 PM
The people I babysat for back on the day never feed me. I always brought my own. It's not their job to feed her. When you go to work do they feed you?
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:31 PM
When I had a teen sitter I would order a pie for all if them to eat. Then additionally pay sitter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:32 PM
3 moms liked this
I feed the babysitter. Let her have free range of the kitchen. I just want it clean when I get home...or at least all the stuff in the sink and food put away. It seems sad that they won't feed her. I guess it comes down to manners. I was raised to be hospitable and considerate to everyone s feelings. It seems like now a days, it's all about you.
JIJsMom
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Quoting ArmyWife112908: For that period of time, yes I would feed the sitter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:32 PM
I babysit 3 days a week Monday to Wednesday and I bring my own food. The people I babysit for never have much in their house.
zeezoo
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Hmm. I always feed the babysitter. That being my mother. Buut if I were to hire someone else, I would certainly let them know they were welcome to whatever was in the freezer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what I thought.  I mean is she WANTED to use her money to buy pizza, that would be one thing (though I still think that's their responsibility). 

I am not going to call them, because I am not that kind of mom....I will just make sure she has leftovers or something she can take, but it seems awfully rude. 

Quoting ArmyWife112908: For that period of time, yes I would feed the sitter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)