Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

$436 for WHAT? Nope I don't want it!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:19 PM
  • 58 Replies
So my DD has a rash on the inside of her elbow that's kinda like Eczema, really dry and itchy.

The Dr just wanted me to put regular lotion on it and that helped but it didn't really make it go away or clear up at all.

So I took her back and they prescribed her a lotion to pur on twice a day. They gave me a sample and it worked great you could see a HUGE improvement by the next day.

Well I went to pick up here peescription and they told me that insurance wouldn't cover it (she has medicade and yes I know that makes me a shittt welfare parent), so I asked how much it would be thinking if I had to I could borrow the no way from my mom and then pay her back on pay day.

$436 for a SMALL tube of lotion. I was flabbergasted! So I told them never mind and called the Dr back and asked for a different prescription that was either covered by insurance or that qaa cheaper by like $300.

Why the hell does it cost much?
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheSilence
by Tá mé an mó on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Do they have a generic brand equivalent?
Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Because pharmaceutical companies know they can charge out the ass for things. Hopefully she'll get a med soon that works and insurance covers.
hopeful_leslie
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Do you have a lotion called Sarnia in stores by you? Try it.. It's amazing for everything and it's about $7 for a bottle
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

ask the doc for more samples or for an alternaive way to get it lots of drug companies have programs to help pay for their products when insurance wont cover it. you have to learn how to ask the right questions - it makes all the diff inthe world.

imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:23 PM
Go to the website and see if they offer assistance. Most do.

Call them ask what theyll do for you.
zacmacsmomm
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:23 PM

it's probably a new med.  Sometimes doctors can get the insurance to cover it

corticosteroid
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Get her a Gamma Linoleic Acid supplement.

cadditalbrat
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM
DH is going to the store soon I'll have him look

Quoting hopeful_leslie: Do you have a lotion called Sarnia in stores by you? Try it.. It's amazing for everything and it's about $7 for a bottle
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Your insurance should cover it if the doctor gets a pre authorization for it.
cadditalbrat
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:27 PM
How do I figure out if they have a program like that?

And thanks now I know to ask lol otherwise I never would have thought about asking about something like that

Quoting teri4lance:

ask the doc for more samples or for an alternaive way to get it lots of drug companies have programs to help pay for their products when insurance wont cover it. you have to learn how to ask the right questions - it makes all the diff inthe world.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)