Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I want DH to go away for work.

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:13 AM
  • 83 Replies
1 mom liked this

DH has been offered a job in Atlanta. We live in CA. It is his dream job, and he applied months ago not really thinking he would get it and completely forgot about it into he got the call a couple of days ago. However, now that he has been offered it he doesn't know if he wants to take it and leave me and the kids. Moving with him is not an option as here is where my youngest sons doctors are, my companies, and everybody else is happy with their school and friends.

How do I tell him that I want him to go, that I am perfectally capable of holding up the fort here? I don't want to sound like I am pushing him away, but I want him to experience this and after a very stressful year I feel it would be good for us to spend some time apart from one another. It's not like we would never see one another, he will be working 4 days on, 3 days off shifts and can fly home. Not to mention he would be getting payed almost 100k more than he currently is and the experience would look amazing on a resume.

How do I approch this? Would you allow your DH to work so far away from home?

by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2012Rabbit12
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:15 AM

I would love it, and would beg him to go. That's just me.

corpswife523
by Krystal on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:16 AM
Just calmly talk to him and explain it to him how you explained it on here. Good Luck to you both!
Sara-1989
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:17 AM
I'd tell him to take his kid with him. You'll be the one raising her kid.
AugustMomma
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:18 AM
DH works 2.5 hours away and only home on the weekends. Sometimes it's hard, others, not so much.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:19 AM

I dunno. I'd think about what he would miss out on with the kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:20 AM
Would you're pregnant sd still live with you ?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:22 AM
That seems like it would be a lot of traveling and expenses. Would the work schedule always be like that? How long would you guys have to live apart?

I would just tell him pretty much what you said here. Let him know it's for his benefit and the financial benefit of the family, not because you don't love him or want him around.

To answer your last question, yes, my DH works away from home. He's a couple states away and he's gone 16 days every month.
tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:28 AM

No. I think not. Yet another benefit.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Would you're pregnant sd still live with you ?

BEXi
by BEXi on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:30 AM
100k MORE!? My husband wouldnt have thought twice!

I hope he takes it.
tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:32 AM

It would be a 6 month contract that would get renewed every 6 months.  I'm not sure if the work schedule would always be like that; I think so. 

Quoting Anonymous 3: That seems like it would be a lot of traveling and expenses. Would the work schedule always be like that? How long would you guys have to live apart? I would just tell him pretty much what you said here. Let him know it's for his benefit and the financial benefit of the family, not because you don't love him or want him around. To answer your last question, yes, my DH works away from home. He's a couple states away and he's gone 16 days every month.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)