Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Babysitters can spank.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

I agree that it is ethically wrong. However, under the law, nonparents who parents leave in charge of children act "in loco parentis" and can do anything a parent could legally do. Outside of Delaware, this means a babysitter can deliever a spanking that causes pain. Depending on the state, the spanking may not leave evidence of physical harm or injury. I believe Georgia is the state with the largest number of students spanked in 2013 by teachers or faculty. The only exception is if parents have made clear to the nonparents who provide childcare that spanking is out of bounds. In some states, such clearly stated boundaries gives a parent a leg to stand upon in court if a nonparent providing child care spanks. But not in every state. (Which is why in some states, a child can be spanked while attending school even if the parents have expressed that the child is not allowed to be spanked there.)

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zeezoo
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:33 AM
This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Quoting zeezoo:

lipsis
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Yes, my daughter's grandmother slapped her across the face, and I was told it wasn't a crime. Her grandfather also performed corporal punishment on her by shaking her while yelling at her, and I was told it wasn't a crime.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:38 AM
We have to send a prohibition of corporal punishment to the school every year. Their definition of corporal punishment and mine vary, but if they spanked my child, they would have the police in their office.
hargonagain
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this
If a babysitter spanked my son I would kick her ass!
MichelleJ1000
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:40 AM
In my opinion being shaken while being yelled at is not corporal punishment. Being spanked with a belt more than ten times would be. Back in the day I was spanked with a belt until my father got tired. If the laws were the same as they are now my dad would have been arrested.

Quoting lipsis:

Yes, my daughter's grandmother slapped her across the face, and I was told it wasn't a crime. Her granfather also performed corporal punishment on her by shaking her while yelling at her, and I was told it wasn't a crime.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:43 AM

Did you know that in 19 states students can be spanked by teachers and school officials? The paddles used to spank students are not allowed as carry-ons for flight travel, because airport security considers them weapons. However, they are considered in 19 states to be an acceptable tool for hitting children. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy introduced a bill to outlaw the practice on June 26th, but Congress never voted on it before the school year could begin because Congress went on vacation.

Quoting Anonymous 2: This pretty much sums up my thoughts.
Quoting zeezoo:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this

It is illegal for teachers to spank in my state.  I am thrilled that I do not live in a state that accepts this as a form of punishment in the classroom.  Also, if a non-parent spanked my child, then I would definitely contact the proper authorities and see if anything could be done.   I will have to ask my dh, who is a cop, if it is illegal and what would happen if this happened.  We do not spank and we expect those who watched our children to abide by this. 

JENNlEPEPSl
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:47 AM
Unless then parent chooses to press charges.....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:48 AM
I would be pissed if anyone hit my child besides her father
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)