Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My mom says she's gay...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 104 Replies
My mom, who is 65, divorced my dad about 2 months ago. Now she is saying she's a lesbian? Wtf? My mom is not a lesbian...she was married to my dad for 40 years. 40 years with a man, and now you're gay? Yea right, mom! I think she's lost her mind! And, I just cannot accept this. Idk what to do or say to make her realize she's just sad and lonely because she's never been alone. And for the record, I have no issue with gay people, but my mom is not gay! And, no I'm not in denial, I know she isn't gay! I can't and won't accept it!
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ARACMOM
by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:48 AM
If she says she's gay, she's gay.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:48 AM

Support her. Be happy for her. Her choice, not yours.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:49 AM
2 moms liked this

She could be gay.  You do not know exactly how she feels or her true sexual orientation.  She could have been living a lie all of this time.  She could have tried to live a straight life so that she would not have to deal with the hatred, judgment and intolerance by others.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Just because she was married to your dad for 40 years doesn't mean she can't be gay. A lot of gy people stay in their marriage because of shame or wanting to keep their family together. 

Your mom has come out and that's a very brave thing to do. You have no right to judge her. You need to accept it and support her. Are you homophobic?

lalaballet
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:50 AM
2 moms liked this
You aren't in denial and can't and won't accept it? That's denial. She could be, men leave for men and women leave for women. Maybe it's why they divorced.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:50 AM
She's not gay she's confused!

Quoting ARACMOM: If she says she's gay, she's gay.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:50 AM
She doesn't need your acceptance for it to be real. Plenty of lesbians marry a man for one reason or another.
angelizedsinz
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:50 AM
I don't think it was as acceptable 40 years ago. She may have just acted the way she thought she was supposed to. Regardless of if it's a phase or not, support her.
cybcm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this
If she says it, she is.

Your mother was born at a time when it was socially unacceptable to be gay, it still is a harder life than that of a straight person. Many people did (and still do) marry someone of the opposite sex just to be seen as 'normal'.

I wish your mother luck and hope that everyone in her life treats her with the same amount of respect and love as they did before.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:51 AM
I agree.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

She could be gay.  You do not know exactly how she feels or her true sexual orientation.  She could have been living a lie all of this time.  She could have tried to live a straight life so that she would not have to deal with the hatred, judgment and intolerance by others.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)