Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is my husband being overprotective?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:07 AM
  • 61 Replies
We had our first baby 4 months ago...a beautiful baby boy! My husband has always been very concerned about safety but sometimes I feel like he is a bit too overprotective about it.

My family lives far away so we don't get to see them often. My brother got married a month after our son was born but my husband didn't want to fly with a 4 week old baby...too many germs. So we missed it. My family is here for family reunions (they come out once a year) but we didn't go because one was an hour away (on the freeway) and the other was 30 minutes away up a canyon (camping). He didn't want us to go because he was afraid of traveling on busy roads with a 4 month old. Now my family wants us to come to my grandparents house but he says no way because it's 30 minutes on the freeway and it's supposed to rain. My husband loves us and I know he just wants to keep us protected and safe...but I feel like it's a bit overboard. Especially since my family is only out here once a year. I want us to stay safe but I also want to see my family and have them spend time with our baby while they are here. Am I just being too lax about traveling with him??
by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goldpandora
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I think your husband is verging on paranoia. I wouldn't take a baby camping (and that's only because of me not wanting to deal with the hassle of it) but certainly wouldn't sit at home rather than take the freeway with a bit of rain ...

shymomof4
by Kristyn on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I think your husband is being way over protective. I understand the camping trip and maybe flying but the rest is to much imo.
CrossStitchMum
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:13 AM
Yikes. I think he (hubby) needs some anxiety meds! Good luck mama
MommyofMonster
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:13 AM
1 mom liked this

being exposed to some germs actually strengthens the immune system.  Traveling with a baby is perfectly fine, even camping is fine! (camping with a baby can be a pain I'm told)

way over protective on dad's end.

let the kid eat some dirt!

and while a car accident can always happen, if he drives at all then there's always the risk.  Time and distance, business of roads are not a factor.  He could just as easily accidentally hit a car pulling out of the driveway as having something happen on the freeway

yes, I am Fantastic.

Lostinindy
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:13 AM
3 moms liked this

Is he only this way with your family?  Does he take the baby out to see his family?  To me this is a big red flag.  Has he always been this way or is this something new?  I would throw a fit and remind him most accidents happen close to home.

mamalynnsmith
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:14 AM
Yes over protective. We drove with a five day old baby to fl. From mi. To see my inlaws .baby will be fine. You husband is using your son as an excuse not to visit your family
Vindictive421
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:19 AM
I thinks it's kind of sweet.... And a little crazy
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:21 AM
4 moms liked this

He is paranoid or controlling. ONLY You only know which one he truly is. I would take my child to see my family. If he chooses to stay at home and hide under the covers so that he is "safe"....then let him

lovemercygrace
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:22 AM

Sometimes when people become new parents they become very overprotective of their kids, It will change, hopefully as the child gets older and if you have more kids.

mom2bahandcch
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:29 AM
Too much. Does he take the baby to his family?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)