Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

First grader normal or not?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
My son is 6 and is in first grade. He's been in it about 2 weeks. He does have a autism dx (high functioning) but does not qualify for services at school. Last year he did great at school(full day kindy). Rough at home but that's all. This year he's had some issues at school. Nothing severe but getting mad or crying. His teacher is amazing and has an autistic daughter so she recognizes his emotional issues early and helps him diffuse before it's too late. So he hasn't had any full blown meltdowns at school yet.

I'm curious about what's normal for his age vs what is not. If a child gets there chair taken away is it normal for them to get mad and start crying? Are first graders still emotional? Everyone was warned to stop playing with their chairs, everyone else stopped besides Ds. He ended up falling backwards. Which is why it was taken away-it was safety concern. He didn't get in trouble. But he wasn't happy.

Just trying to sort through what are age issues and what are autism issues
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:26 PM
dd in that situation would cry from embarrassment shes 6 non-autistic
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:27 PM

My first grader is still very emotional at times.  But she gets over things pretty quickly.  I don't think there is a 'normal' for a 6 year old, honestly.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:27 PM
Yes I think that is normal for some children. My best friend's son cannot stand to lose and cries/gets med if anyone beats him at anything. He's in 3rd grade.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Quoting Anonymous: dd in that situation would cry from embarrassment shes 6 non-autistic

Thanks. Problem is Ds would still continue playing with the damn chair afterwards. He doesn't understand consequences. I guess he was pre meltdown mode so he was clenching is fist and kinda shutting down. He does get easily embarrassed though.
MamaTasha08
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I agree.  (I have a 6 year old son.)

Quoting Anonymous: dd in that situation would cry from embarrassment shes 6 non-autistic

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:30 PM
My 6 yo wouldn't cry but might pout. But she probably wouldn't have her chair taken away.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Quoting Anonymous 2:

My first grader is still very emotional at times.  But she gets over things pretty quickly.  I don't think there is a 'normal' for a 6 year old, honestly.   

My son tends to either be happy and giggly or mad/crying. That's pretty much his two emotions lol. His teacher saw the clenching of fist and him getting worked up and sorta shutting down so she intervened and gave him a hand signal for when he's getting overwhelmed and he needs to talk or needs a break.

All his classmates seem so mature compared to him so just wondering.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:30 PM
I think my 6 yo would find it funny and move on from it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:31 PM
ddd does that too, I sometimes wonder if she need to see a counselor or if all kids get that easily upset.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Thanks. Problem is Ds would still continue playing with the damn chair afterwards. He doesn't understand consequences. I guess he was pre meltdown mode so he was clenching is fist and kinda shutting down. He does get easily embarrassed though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:32 PM
Quoting Anonymous 4: My 6 yo wouldn't cry but might pout. But she probably wouldn't have her chair taken away.

Ya, everyone else would listen the first time. And of course my son, the future lawyer lol, responded by telling the teacher to just let him fall and he chooses to screw with his chair. He looked as he didn't get seriously hurt so he's fine. He can't understands that a serious injury MIGHT happen
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)