Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

s/o 6 year old walking to school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
Its amazing how times have changed. Stuff I was able to do when I was little I would never let her do now. Like when I was little we used to walk to school alone at the age of like 7 or 8. Granted it was only 4 blocks away but it was safe. Or riding our bikes all over the place, manhunt. My dad had stuff something the other day about it to cause he realizes how things have changed to. I wonder what its gonna be like when our kids have kids
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2014 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM
My kids ride theirbikes everywhere ,playmanhunt, they cross themain roadto go down to the baseball gields andpool.

But i dont know anyone who would let a 6yo walk alone to school.

Im almost 40...6yos didnt walk alone when i was a kid either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:01 PM
Where Iive cant reallu do any of that
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM

It isn't any different now then when we were kids. The only difference is that there is 24/7 access to worldwide news. We hear about it more. 

I still let my kids ride their bikes in the neighborhood. If there were sidewalks I'd let them walk to school. 

I refuse to shelter and coddle my children. I am raising independent children. 

Canvas_says
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:10 PM

My mother never allowed me to walk to or from school alone, there was always a group of children that either walked together or at minimum one mother and the crossing guards keeping an eye on the village so to speak. I didn't allow my children to do it either and this year my 8 year old will be able to go to the bus stop on her own but yet again there is always at least one mom around. I don't think I'm over protective or harming their Independence at all. I am recognizing that most children have a touch of ADD and can be easily diverted, older children will harass them, and have knee jerk reactions to things such as running into a street.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:11 PM

With another six year old YES, alone NO. I wouldnt even let a teen walk ALONE

MrsCountryMama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:13 PM
I can't imagine my 7yr old walking to school alone yet.
imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM
There are places you cant, but really its just about choosing wisely where to live.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Where Iive cant reallu do any of that
leksismommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:17 PM
It really depends on the kid. As i said in that post, my brother at 6, got up, got dressed, had breakfast and caught the bus on time every morning. Granted, the bus stopped in front of our house and my mom called him every morning to make sure he us up. Both if us were raised to be very independent.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN