Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So Now I'm A Bad Mom **UPDATE**

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:48 PM
  • 60 Replies

**UPDATE**

I guess maybe I was being a little uptight about it. I didn't feel that way but I guess others did. I did give in and let my daughter name her horse Elsa. My son decided this morning on Oliver for his colt. It will probably be another year or so before they can ride them, especially considering that I will be pregnant until February and I am limited in what training I can do. We all agreed before the foal was born that I would name her so I'm still thinking. My husband is not allowed to name anything, lol. 

**Original Post**

I've posted about this a few times but we recently took in three abandoned horses, one of which was pregnant and had her foal Saturday morning. My 3 year old son and 2 year old daughter have claimed the two yearlings for themselves. It may sound selfish but I want the horses to have names that I can live with. My 2 year old wanted to name her horse Elsa but I suggested a few other names and then really decided that I like Angel for her. I suggested a few times and finally she said she wanted to name her Angel. I'm still deciding on a name for the male and I told them that I am naming the foal. 

I was talking about the process of naming them with a few coworkers and one of them got haughty and said I was a bad mom because I didn't just live with whatever name my child came up with. I just kind of rolled my eyes. This horse will likely be with her into adulthood. I think that she should have a good name that we can all live with, not a name picked out by a toddler because of a popular Disney movie. I don't necessarily have anything against the name but I don't like the idea of naming after movies. That always seems to happen when I let the kids help. The only animal I deliberately named after a TV character without suggestion from a child was Lucy, who was named while I was watching "I Love Lucy". 

As for my son, he named a male lamb cupcake so I'm a little scared of what he comes up with but, if it's something I can't live with, I will try to encourage him to pick something else. So what do you think? Does that make me a bad mom?

by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM
3 moms liked this
It doesn't make you a bad mom. Selfish yes. Your daughters name idea was better then yours. Angel? Let the kids decide. You don't have to control everything.
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM
I so it too. You can let them nickname them their names
BrutalTruth
by urbullyisshowing on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Pardon me if this is incredibly ignorant, but horses can learn their names?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this
You're the parent. Period. People would do well to remember that in their own families too.
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:52 PM
4 moms liked this

It doesn't make you a bad mom, but if you're going to let them pick the names, you should have let them pick the names.

CafeMom Tickers
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this
I like Elsa better than Angel, actually.
Cowgirl_Coyote
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 8:05 PM
Actually my pregnancy brain forgot that Angel is my SIL's name. I was talking to her this morning and for some reason that name popped in my head. Nevermind then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pixers
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 8:07 PM

My kids always picked the nicknames, I picked the actual name.  

Honestly I think you are doing it right, it might be a name they dislike later in life.  

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 8:08 PM
Yes they can. Every one of our horses comes when they're called, and so do our dogs and cats.

Quoting BrutalTruth: Pardon me if this is incredibly ignorant, but horses can learn their names?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrutalTruth
by urbullyisshowing on Aug. 24, 2014 at 8:10 PM
I know dogs and cats can. I guess I just never thought about it, lol.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote: Yes they can. Every one of our horses comes when they're called, and so do our dogs and cats.

Quoting BrutalTruth: Pardon me if this is incredibly ignorant, but horses can learn their names?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN